Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FLAPERON BUSHINGS

3 posts in this topic

Posted

This may sound like a silly question, but I would have to take two wings off of the wall to get up high and look at the flaperon hanging there.   

Concerning the nylon bushings in the flaperon hinges - does the hinge rotate around the bushing, or is the bushing a press fit in the hinge and rotates on the flaperon control tube?

Thanks,

EDMO

Posted

Ed, the nylon bushings are pressed onto the aluminum flaperon spar then the hinge rotates around the bushing. I've thought it would be beneficial to drill a small hole in the hinge so you could shoot some lube in there and rotate it up and down from time to time just to keep them moving real nice. I know mine are pretty stiff and i'm not to sure how to fix them.

Posted (edited)

Robert,

I know that one of my manuals (Avid Magnum or Kitfox 1,4,5) shows a small (1/8 -3/16) hole in the rear top of the round metal part of the flaperon hinge, with instructions to use this to oil bushing when needed. 

I should have realized by this that the hinge rotates on the bushing - Duh! 

Guess I've had too many other things to think about.  Trying to get my flap / aileron design worked out now.

Thanks for the info.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri