Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Map of owners

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I realize this isn't a new idea because I've seen it on two other flying forums. I'm wondering if we shouldn't start a Google map page for the Avid world. I know it would help me on cross country trips and such, and might be a great way to see where the forum members have aircraft and live.

I'm not tech savvy enough to get one going though but thought that it's something I'd like to see on here. In my case I'd love to see where the closest aircraft are, and I do enough long cross country trips like the Billings to Cincinnati I'll be doing next week, that I'd love to know where people live. I personally have space for anyone that might need a couch for the night too and love to hangar talk so It would be good to have a description as well as location. I'll offer anyone my couch for a night or two that needs it or just happens to be cruising through the mid-west on an adventure.

What do you all think?

Posted

Those maps are a pain in the ass and no one goes back to look at them. How about a thread that the thread title is your state and if your from the same state then just post in there?

Posted

This is a great idea. Over at advrider they have a "tent space" thread. Maybe we could set up something like that:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149585

This actually came in handy for me once. A couple of years ago while on a cross-USA motorcycle trip I found myself  in a bind in Colorado Springs when all the hotels were filled one evening. I found a fellow an "inmate" on the thread who offered me space to sleep for the night in his home. I declined though and settled for my tent in the back yard.

Posted

I wasn't aware that the map way to do it would be that difficult but I would like to see something more than a thread where it's easier to search for others. Since I know most pilots are visual thinkers I just figured being able to see it in a general local would be the best. If Google maps are so hard to use, is there another way for us to put up a map and have people pin their location on it with information?

In my case there are many times when I might be in a state I'm not familiar with and wouldn't know the names of any of the towns to even search for member. Maybe a map isn't the best way to do it but I'm open to helping set something up if people are willing to use it, at least with what limited knowledge I have. I do have time if someone wants me to just help out. Again, I'm open to ideas and suggestions. I have a brother that is an I.T. guy and might be able to beg him for help too is there is a good idea for this.

Just a thought that might be able to help anyone that might need a place to crash (not literally), just want someone with the same ideas to hang out with etc.

Posted

Sound good to me but I have no clue how to do it.