Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Washington State landslide

2 posts in this topic

Posted

I know we have some members and forum visitors from Snohomish County. Media reports show a large area of total devastation and I certainly hope you and all your loved ones are safe. Thoughts and prayers to those affected by the mudslides, God Bless.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Yes - Prayers and sympathies for the families.

How many times I have seen disasters which could have been avoided if the house buyers / builders had just checked with the geologists first - it seems in this case, the people in the local government completely ignored / did not even read, the Corps of Engineers warnings about impending mudslides for this community.  One woman who survived the mudslide said she bought her house there two years ago, and no one told her about the report of the possibility of mudslides. 

When the 1964 Quake hit Anchorage Alaska, the houses that had been built over Bootleggers Cove Clay were the most destroyed, as the clay turns to liquid when shaken. 

Before I bought my house there, I checked the geology reports and maps and found a house built on top of a moraine with no trace of clay under it.

I grew up near the swamps, and was in deep floods by the time I was 6, and another 10 years later.  I vowed to leave there and have a house sitting on a high, solid hill and never be flooded out again - After owning a lot of houses in different states, I have always kept that promise to myself and my family.

I hope someone will read and learn from this.

EDMO @ 460 MSL

Edited by Ed In Missouri