Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

LUMENS AND CANDLEPOWER

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

After reading some factors about converting Lumens to Candlepower, and not really getting any good info, I found this in the Spruce catalog, my old book has it on page 509.

XEVISION LANDING AND TAXI LIGHTS

"500,OOO Candlepower (3200 Lumens) for our 35 watt,

and 750,000 Candlepower (5400 Lumens) for our 50 watt systems -

up to more than 8 times brighter than a standard 100 watt incandescent beam."

Note:  They are proud of these $500 lights.

I hope the above tells us something.

The 12.5 : 1 conversion factors dont really compute - one is talking about light power at the source and the other is at the point of aim, and they don't say how far away that is.

If you can find a way to put this ratio into words that I can understand, then jump right in - this is the best I have found.

Sounds like my 2 million Candlepower cheap handheld spotlight may find a new home in my cowl.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I'm thinking the same thing about a handheld 12V light for a landing light. I've read for hours on the subject of lumens vs. candlepower. It seems that you really can't compare the two very well since they measure light differently.

My mom has one of the brightest handheld spotlights I've ever seen and it's LED. It's the Waypoint made by Streamlight, they aren't terribly cheap but not really expensive either. I just hate to buy one only to cut into it and use it for a landing light. I'm kind of like that sometimes.

Posted

Gorilla tape on the landing gear - good temporary test!

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

I was picking up parts for the old truck today in the auto parts store - They had a 5 million CP handheld spotlight there, and it was marked 545 Lumens - Guess it is about time to look for a HID spotlight that should be about 10 times brighter.

Where is my old J.C.Whitney book?

EDMO

Posted

Ed,

How big was the handheld spotlight they had and how much were they asking for it? I really don't want an 8" round spotlight yet that would be a seriously cool landing light to have when aimed correctly.

Posted (edited)

Ken,

The 5m light was probably 8 or 10 inches - $39 - 2m light was 6 inches and $29 at O'Reillys - BUT low Lumens?

I have a 2m of a different brand - about same price and size.

I have a couple of older lights and don't know how bright - will show you sometime.  You got to get legal with pos and strobes first anyway.  I think HID is the way to go - burns brighter and cooler and less amps.

I have not located either tailwheel, but almost certain that they are both solid.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

For a landing light, like the $500 "aircraft" HID XENON, go to ebay motors and check out the HID Xenon spotlights from $50 to $150 - as usual, anything for "aircraft" is totally overpriced.

I even saw some LED XENON lights - whatever that means?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I realize I have to get legal with the other lights but I still need to plan out how to do it all. I already have the wing tip nav lights but no strobes yet. I'm looking into that now and have been doing a lot of research on the subject.

Having had experience with spotlights that have fairly low lumens (210 for example), yet very bright output and a good range of somewhere near 600 meters, I have to say I still don't think that lumens converts to candela very well. It's too subjective of a measurement and it's done differently. Like comparing how much an orange and apple weigh, it doesn't really matter since they are just different.

Posted

All I am saying is that if you have a choice of 500 or 5000 for about the same price - then take your choice.

EDMO

1 person likes this