Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Stuff that gap!

2 posts in this topic

Posted

A while back someone was selling this strange blue foam tubing on another forum to use as gap seals. You had to split it with a razor blade but it was no big deal. The other day while dinking around I cut a piece and painted it and stuck it in the gap where the horizontal stab goes through the fuse. Today was the first time I've flown with it. It was also a test flight after re rigging my flaperons. I didn't make too much drastic changes to the flaperons but I noticed a very noticeable difference in flight today. The rudder is lighter, I was cruising a bit faster, and swear I had better climb too. What i really noticed was a lighter feeling on the rudder. If you haven't done this one.... stick some tape or foam over that gap and see what you think. I had at least a 3/4" gap on mine.

The foam

IMG_4084.jpg

After a quick rattle can job. I did over a 100 mph indicated and 118 mph ground speed today and it didn't move.

IMG_4085.jpg

Posted

Where did you source the foam from? The Pursang has a gap seal there out of aluminum but not under the HS. I'm wondering if it would make a difference. Also it has a big gap between the HS and elevator that I could seal up and see if it makes a difference. Very good information to know. Guess it's time to find some white duct tape until I can make up some fiberglass molded seals.