Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

BAGGAGE DOORS?

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have seen a few photos on here of baggage doors, but could not tell if the builders had put an aluminum angle frame behind them over the fabric.  I am wondering if this should be done, or if a rubber seal on the aluminum door will abrade the fabric without a frame.

Also, would stiffeners be needed for a .025 or .032 aluminum door about 18 inches square?  .060?

Any photos or ideas would be appreciated.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

On my buddy's Avid-Fox he made the door from plane sheet, I think 050".  The hinge on the bottom gave some rigidity and the tabs for the retention cables helped on the top.  He also broke the edges about 1" in to maybe 5º all the way around.  This gave the door a ton of stability.

Posted

Did he put frames around the door opening, or just leave the fabric?

ED

Posted

He put reinforcing tape on the opening, but the door goes right to the fabric.

Posted

Not sure if this helps or not Ed, but here is a picture of the baggage door on the MK IV I'm looking to buy.

post-745-0-66745200-1389067642_thumb.jpg

Posted

Thanks Kenneth,

Cant tell from photo, but looks like some kind of reinforcement around opening, especially at camlocks.

ED

Posted

Ed, If I end up purchasing this aircraft I'll let you know more details on that. You're always welcome over on this side of the river as well. I may even be able to have my arm twisted a little to fly over your way! ;)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Ken,

Hope you are around for sometime - I could use time in an Avid - Going to need a BFR someday - got to order a new AMT/FAR/AIM book one of these days - I think mine is written in Hieroglyphics (sp?)!!!  :lol:

As far as the Baggage doors go - I will figure out something when I get to that point - every time I have my most current problem solved, I go looking for answers to something else!

ED

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I totally understand. I'm always looking for problems to solve too, but a lot of them seem to hit me and then I'm forced to solve them. Kind of why I have done so many jobs and have so many skills. I have to continually be learning or I'm not happy at all. I love designing and building things and probably take the harder road on both accounts sometimes.

Posted

Ed,

I installed a baggage door after the fabric was on. I installed some pieces of oak between the stringer and the top longeron prior to cutting the fabric. Then I poly tacked the fabric to the stringer and the added oak pieces then I cut the fabric to allow wrapping around the stringer, vertical pieces and top longeron. That became the frame for the door. When I get the plane out again I will try to take better pictures than before.

Dave

Posted

Thanks Dave,

I was mostly concerned about the door rubbing on fabric as the body twists in flight - planned to use a rubber strip around door, but thought about putting aluminum around door opening after fabric was on to prevent chaffing.

EDMO