Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wings Wanted

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Damaged the port wing tip and the flaperon is beyond repair. Looking for speedwing parts to repair or a replacement and a flaperon replacement.Aircraft is a Avid MK IV so Kitfox 1,2,3 wings will work Long wings okay. Any ideas on finding these parts or any have wings for sale?

post-721-0-21965500-1384817077_thumb.jpg

Posted

Where are you located Sam?

I have some rib fixtures if you decide to build your own wings.,

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

I may have a line on some Speedwing parts as well depending on your location. Would be insanely expensive to ship that stuff very far.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank's, I am located in Apple Valley, CA and willing to travel for  parts. I can be reached at spurpura@aol,com or 760-565-8504

Posted

the flapperons are simply an aluminum tube for the spar with Styrofoam for the ribs all wrapped in thin aluminum you could make them pretty easily or even just cut off the bad part of the one you have and just replace the damaged end. if nothing else you could tear into it to have a better idea of their construction and make them yourself you would save some $$$ and know exactly whats in them would also be a good time to upgrade to the newer KF bushing design.

Posted

(You should see the absolutely crude jig that Brett has for making flapperons....  !)

1 person likes this

Posted

I would like to learn more about building flaperons. I bought a Raven (Kitfox clone) project that needs flaperons. 

I'm new to building and hope to learn alot from you guys.

Wayne

Posted (edited)

Robert,

I would like to hear more about the "new bushing" as compared to the early ones.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Sam I totally forgot my friend Bill had a set of extended speed wings hanging on the wall of his hangar. I spoke with him yesterday and it sounds like you two have been in touch. Hopefully you can make a deal and get back in the air. Rancho Tehama is a really cool little community. I fly up there frequently.

Posted

Robert,

I would like to hear more about the "new bushing" as compared to the early ones.

EDMO

Ed, wish I could fill in more on this but i can't. Just remember looking at a KF IV at the local airport once and his bushings were much smoother and nicer looking than the one's I have on my Avid maybe someone else here could educate the rest of us on this

-Robert-

Posted

Ed, wish I could fill in more on this but i can't. Just remember looking at a KF IV at the local airport once and his bushings were much smoother and nicer looking than the one's I have on my Avid maybe someone else here could educate the rest of us on this

-Robert-

When they changed the wings on the KF4, they changed the aileron hinge mounts from the end of the ribs to two brackets above and below the trailing edge - the hinges were either a single piece, or two pieces spaced closer together, and the slot in the aileron was made smaller.

For the bushing - I have no info that it was made different, but it may have been changed too.

I have the KF4 manual that shows the brackets.

EDMO

Posted

I may end up building a set of flaperons as they are tuff to find, their built pretty simple,aluminum skin over foam ribs and aluminum torque tube. May be able to get the brackets from Kitfox.

Posted (edited)

I may end up building a set of flaperons as they are tuff to find, their built pretty simple,aluminum skin over foam ribs and aluminum torque tube. May be able to get the brackets from Kitfox.

Sam,

Please let me know if Kitfox will sell the bracket / hinges and how much each.

Make sure which hinges you are getting because the Kitfox 4 and later are different than the Avid.

Thanks,

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri