Vemer Engines

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Looks like an eastern block copy of the HKS.

Posted

Almost twice the displacement without much weight gain, good thinking on the shared aircleaner, wet sump lubrication with PSRU lubricated by engine oil.  Overhead cam rather than pushrod.  I'm guessing that it actually makes it's horsepower while HKS usually mostly disappoints in that regard.  I wonder how much?  If you look at the power/torque curves it's really peaky.  Like a 2 stroke. 

Posted

If you want a horizontally opposed engine that has a lot of engineering behind it, look at the BMW 1200 they were first used on Avids about 20 year ago, and have demonstrated their ability in Europe for decades as an Aircraft motor, The 3 engines that I have been looking at are the BMW 1200 oil cooled engine, the Weber 750cc , and the Yamaha Genesis engine. The BMW is one of the few bike engines that unbolts from the transmission and has shown that it is able to live in an aircraft. the Weber is seen mainly in Polaris snowmobiles in my area and usually outlives the machine that it was built in, the Yamaha snowmobile engine is the same way, the Yamaha wins in the horsepower at up to 150hp cut it down to 130nfor realistic aircraft use, the Weber is closer to 120hp and the BMW is about 100hp all three are fuel injected though had been used with carburetors in the past and while the BMW has the only true dual plug the others use an individual coil on plug, the Yamaha would be tough to squeeze a second plug in with 5 valves but the Weber might be possible. The lightest I believe is the Yamaha at 118 pounds, anywhere but the US they are considered great engines and have been worked on for years.