Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid visability

11 posts in this topic

Posted

It appears that the Avid top cowl is lower on the windscreen than the Kitfox top cowl piece which would give better forward visability.

I am considering replacing my Kitfox round cowl with a smooth Avid style cowl even if it means lowering the 582 or turning it upside down Avid style.

Does anyone have their Avid nearby to get a vertical measurement from the longeron on the bottom of the fuselage to where the cowl meets the windscreen?

Are there any new or used Avid cowls available?

Thanks 

Herman

Posted

Don't have a measurement Herman but having flown both the over the nose visibility is much better in an Avid. In fact in cruise you have to make your visual reference look like you are nose down slightly to keep from climbing.

Posted

So where do I get an Avid cowl?

Are there variations of the Avid cowl by year or model?

Joey. It seems like your cowl is more abbreviated than most or is that only the front part that would normally cover the gearbox?

Thanks Herman

Posted

You're not supposed to see over the nose on real airplanes….   :lmao:

800px-F4U_Corsair_-_AirExpo_Muret_2007_0

Posted

So where do I get an Avid cowl?

Are there variations of the Avid cowl by year or model?

Joey. It seems like your cowl is more abbreviated than most or is that only the front part that would normally cover the gearbox?

Thanks Herman

It's because of my E gearbox that it looks that way. Most of the early B models you see had 532's with B boxes that would hide inside the cowl better.

Posted

The Avid Model C that I measured to find out how the gear placement compared to a Kitfox had an upside down 582 with cheek radiators.

I now understand why the upside down 582 in an Avid allows the cowl to be lower than a Kitfox for better visability.

It appears that the  top 4 of the 6 Avid 582 engine mount bolts would come  close to fitting the Kitfox.

Otherwise the Avid and Kitfox engine mount attachment to the fuselage firewall are not even close to interchanging.

Without a custom engine mount I will not be lowering my Kitfox cowl for the better Avid visability. 

Posted (edited)

If you can weld you can build a Motor mount, How would that change affect the flight characteristics of the plane. In other words would changing the thrust line have a negative to flight, I have only flown a kit fox once, and By looking down the side corner of the windshiekld I was happy with the vision, I am just uncomfortable with 2 strokes in general and I would prefer to go the other way and put my Avid engine upright, I am so close to getting this plane together that I can almost feel it, but changes that I feel lead to safety can still be made. I just have to get my hangar organized with 3 planes in it I should have another hangar, I just found out that there are only 3 planes at my airport 1 for sale 1 numbered as a DC3 and one that is supposedly owned by someone in Wyoming but at $100 a month until my wife finishes school next fall I will live with what I have. 

Edited by Trackwelder

Posted

I have been flying my Kitfox for 18 years and have managed with the  round cowl visability.

I powered my Kitfox with a Jabiru for a few years and used the Skyfox cowl that is similar to the Avid cowl in that it was 2-3 inches lower on the windscreen.

The Jabiru did not meet my high altitude and short field needs but a really appreciated the added visability the Jabiru cowl offered.

Good question regarding the thrust line.

I am not sure the Avid upside down 582 installation (spark plugs down) changes the thrust line much from a Kitfox 582 spark plugs up installation.

The Avid installation places the prop flange as the high point of the engine installation allowing for a lower cowl and the Kitfox  has the prop flange several inches below the spark plugs.

Another advantage of the Avid 582 installation is that the 582 exhaust does not need to be modified to fit in the cowl and produces a few more HP than the Kitfox 582 installation.

Posted

Since my exhaust came from a Kit Fox, that part is not a factor at this time, Have you  seen the price they want for an exhaust for a Rotax? I should probably leave it stock and just finish it, but I can't help myself with modifications t this time. I have been looking at the price of Factory made aircraft and If I could sell one of my Harleys and a couple of 4 wheelers I should have plenty to buy something, I just have never spent that much time around airplanes before I got my Certificate and am not sure what things like annuals or conditionals would cost, I am stuck between wanting the best I can Build and just wanting to Fly, any takers on the other toys?

Posted

I seen you mentioned Tripacers in another thread. If you can be part of a good ol boy club for your annuals they are pretty capable airplane. Like you mentioned you can get a good one for 25K. There is def a lot more hidden costs with a certified plane though...just ask Leni about his 180 parts lol :hammerhead:

Posted (edited)

There is something about a tripacer that I just like, If I buy a certified plane that would be the one, I have been finding some around me that the old guys are finally letting go of with 400 hours on the engines and they are only asking $14000 give or take for. I just consider it to be the big overgrown Avid. Both my wife and Daughter want to get their pilots licenses and with 2 to have trained the rental cost would be about the same price as buying a Tri Pacer, everyone has to have a goal, planes aren't real active around here and it seems that every third farmer is an A&P but nobody flies anymore, they do work on the planes fairly cheap with annuals costing under a grand for a fairly simple plane. It goes up if you have IFR but still stays reasonable. I have hangar costs that a lot of people would dream of a nested T hangar on the end so I have an extra half hangar so I spend the extra money for it I pay $600 a year, mechanics that are cheap and available planes that are reasonable but flight instructors trying to make there annual salary off of one student while I am on a fixed income.

I wish I was still working there would be flying planes in my hangar instead of half finished proects.

I understand what you are talking about with the cost of parts, I started building a Lycoming 235 and when I got to the piston rings it was cheaper to machine the pistons and run ford Big Block rings instead of buying one ring I got a complete set for less.

When it comes to the Good old boys Club, I have worked in my hangar most days for the past year, and other than the occaissional person stopping for fuel, I have the airport to myself

Edited by Trackwelder