Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Inline fuel filters

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Another great evening of barnstorming. Bird runs great!

But on the post-flight, I noticed evidence of my mag carb leaking. So next project is to pull the carb and give her a good cleaning, check the float level, float needle valve etc....

But this got me to thinking about inline filters. I have finger filters at the tanks, but I cant see them to inspect.

Any recommendations for a good filter? I intend to install one on each feed line coming from the wing tanks to the header tank.

Posted

IMO, inline filters from the tank to the header are a very bad idea.  You are relying on gravity only to force fuel through them.  A partially blocked set of filters could cause you to have a very bad day.  Most of the filters that are used in this area are the glass automotive filters to allow for visual inspection.  These filters are notorious for clogging completely with only the slightest contamination and will definitely clog if any water comes in contact with their paper-fiber filter element.

Do you have a gascolator in the system?  Or do you have a provision to put a single filter just upstream from the fuel pump which will provide positive flow through the filter?

Remember, each tank has a sump to collect contaminates.  The header tank is a sump to collect contaminates.  If you have a gascolator this has a fine micro-screen for filtering.  This is all I use on my plane.  It is all that most certified planes use...

Posted (edited)

I do have wing sumps and a gascolator. I guess you are correct, that should be plenty of catch options. Plus i filter my gas through a mr funnel too....

Although my saratoga has a filter in the electric pump, and a filter in the carb. Along with the wing sumps and fuel selector sump.....

Edited by Deejayel

Posted (edited)

I think that it has been posted on here before - not to use the paper filters, and the clear ones may not show blockage from clear fibers from the tanks.

My carb has a screen-wire filter in it, but I expect the finger screens to be the major catcher of debris from the tanks, along with the sumps, and the gascolator should catch the rest before it gets to the pumps and carb.

Others have different ideas - I think Randy SuberAvid uses more filters on his.

I would think it would be wise to pull your finger screens in the first few hours of running to check and clean them - then check them and the gascolator regularly.

This should be a requirement at your annual condition inspection too.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I run a filter between my header and shutoff valve. Also have a gascolator on my firewall. As far as your carb goes sounds like you may have a worn part. How long since they were apart, cleaned and rebuilt? Those little kits from Bing are way too expensive but a good tear down, inspection, and rebuild has always fixed any issues I've had with Bings.

Posted

Engine and carbs? were overhauled less than a year ago. I'm only assuming the carbs were done too.

Posted

Did you do it? Is it documented? Where is the carb leaking from? Might be as simple as a float bowl gasket.

Engine and carbs? were overhauled less than a year ago. I'm only assuming the carbs were done too.

Posted

Rotax Rick did the engine. I know he went throught the carbs, but not sure what parts were replaced.

Not sure where its leaking from. Its not leaking sitting. But evidence of leaking in flight. Bad thing is it leaks on the muffler.

I actually have the o-haul kits in stock. If I dont find anything obvious like junk stuck in the needle valve or float level too high etc..., I'll start replacing parts. I can't figure they need new parts this soon after o-haul if indeed they were replaced.

Posted

I have a main filter between the fuel shutoff and fuel pump and a filter in each line between the fuel pump and carbs.