Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox landing gear flex

6 posts in this topic

Posted

It has been observed that my Model 2 Kitfox landing gear must be flexing when I am braking for as short of roll out as possible.

It was noticed  that when braking that the normally tight fabric covering on the gear is wrinkled and that the gear is towed out.

I use 29" Airstreaks and the brakes are capable of easily nosing the airplane over.

I am sure the size of these tires is placing more leverage on the gear than originally intended.

My first thought is to remove the covering, which I have seen on many Backcountry airplanes so I can watch for cracks.

Should I be concerned about this flexing considering that my wings flex all the time especially in turbulence?

Should I remove the fabric to watch for cracking?

Thanks for the advice.

Herman

Posted

Both flex the same? I've never heard of that type of flex...

Posted

I wonder if the entire gear leg is twisting. A 29" spinning at 45 mph is an awfully big gyro. How was it that you came to "observe" this Herman? Sure it's not something that has been going on since Day 1? Removing the covering is only going to add more drag for you.

Posted

It has been observed that my Model 2 Kitfox landing gear must be flexing when I am braking for as short of roll out as possible.

It was noticed  that when braking that the normally tight fabric covering on the gear is wrinkled and that the gear is towed out.

I use 29" Airstreaks and the brakes are capable of easily nosing the airplane over.

I am sure the size of these tires is placing more leverage on the gear than originally intended.

My first thought is to remove the covering, which I have seen on many Backcountry airplanes so I can watch for cracks.

Should I be concerned about this flexing considering that my wings flex all the time especially in turbulence?

Should I remove the fabric to watch for cracking?

Thanks for the advice.

Herman

Herman,

Can you post a pic of your plane with the 29" Airstreak.  I am considering the same tire.

Thanks

Posted

I would post a short video of my Kitfox on 29's if someone can tell me how to do it simply.q

I am a way from home for several days so I would need to do this from an iPhone.

I think I know how to fly but am clueless as how to post photos or videos on forums.

Herman

Posted

email me the video to jeff@aklinebuilders.com and I will post It for you.  If you click on the video itself it will give you options to email.

Thanks