Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tires

11 posts in this topic

Posted

A fellow at the airport has an almost new set of 800x6 6 ply tires. They are condors and have new tubes. They came off his Cessna Skyhawk XP 210hp.

Is 6 ply too much for my lil ole kitfox? I could use the bigger tires, my prop clearance is only 4 inches!

Posted (edited)

A fellow at the airport has an almost new set of 800x6 6 ply tires. They are condors and have new tubes. They came off his Cessna Skyhawk XP 210hp.

Is 6 ply too much for my lil ole kitfox? I could use the bigger tires, my prop clearance is only 4 inches!

the only two things I know about 6 ply, is that they are a little heavier, and the book calls for more air pressure than the 4 ply - don't really understand that, but stiffer and heavier is not good for light birds, IMO. You can fly with most anything - 8.50 would work, just a LOT bigger and heavier!

EDMO

Unless they are too cheap to resist - like free - Why not spend $100 each for the 21 inch lighter tires?

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

I know and I hate the weight penalty but I really need the larger tires and he was going to let me take me for $225. They are certified too!

I would really like 21's but I don't know where everyone is buying them for $200. The best I have found is through desser for $350 tires and tubes

Edited by RMendler

Posted

I would venture to bet you'd be able to feel every crack in the pavement with those things not to mention the weight penalty. They definately would not be very forgiving. My Avid orignally had 8.00X6 Carlisle Turf tires with tubes. They are $59 a piece on Fleabay and on lots of other sites as well. I made my first few hundred off airport landings with them.

$(KGrHqRHJ!4E8+gc+p+vBPUSJY(p4g~~60_12.J

Here they are next to the 21" Nanco's.

IMG_5687.jpg

First ever off airport landing with 12 hours under my belt in the Avid and 22 in a taildragger.

IMG_5607-1.jpg

Posted

Will the 8" atv wheels fit the grove gear ? I have a pair of 8" wheels mounted to the original bungee gear in my basement.

Posted

Larry......Can you answer this one?

Will the 8" atv wheels fit the grove gear ? I have a pair of 8" wheels mounted to the original bungee gear in my basement.

Posted

Grove sells a set of 3/4" axles that will allow you to run the ATV wheels you have. Get the 21x12x8 Nancos from tires-easy.com

Posted

They will with an axle adapter. I guess I have to downgrade brakes also

Posted

I have the ATV wheels and didn't even know it!

Can the Grove brakes replace the Matco brakes found on the Cleveland ATV wheels or am I stuck with these Tiny Brakes?

Posted

I know and I hate the weight penalty but I really need the larger tires and he was going to let me take me for $225. They are certified too!

I would really like 21's but I don't know where everyone is buying them for $200. The best I have found is through desser for $350 tires and tubes

Some just posted in the last week or so, that Desser had a sale going for $100 each - don't know about the tubes - I bought some Chinese tubes from Ace Hardware for $11 each.

Check out WICKS aircraft parts in Illinois - they sell a lot of cheap tires & tubes.

EDMO

Posted (edited)

Thank you again, always seem to have the answers.

I'm trying to decide what to do, buy the axle adapters and remount the ATV wheels, Matco Brakes and 21" Nanco's or.....

Keep the Grove 6"ers with the powerful Grove brakes and dish out the cash for the better tires.  Decisions, decisions.

The cheapest I have found the 21x800 - 6 tires from is eBay for $267 shipped and then I would need tubes.

Edited by RMendler