Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Testing Sources

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Do any of you know of testing reports that have been done to AVID's that show the G force ratings?  I keep hear this 6 and 4 number but where does it come from.

Thanks

Edited by AVID STOL HH

Posted (edited)

typically the aircraft manufacturer will take the wing, put it in a suspended jig and simply place sandbags or other weights on top until failure.  They typically build in a 150% safety factor.  In fact I think that is required by law.

So to be rated for +6 g's the wing must have held 9 times its weight or +9G's and then they derate it to 6G's.

Atleast that is how I have always seen it done.  I would assume Avid did that when they designed the aircraft but who knows.  Not this guy.

Not gonna lie, steep turns scare me a little when you pull the G's in.  I don't trust the wing pins, but thats just me

Edited by RMendler

Posted (edited)

You might be surprised to find out that the 1700 GW Magnum uses the same 1/4 inch strut bolts as the early 850 GW...I was! Guess some engineering type could look up the shear strength of that bolt, and determine that it could hold the weight of a tank!!!!

The 7/8 diameter Kitfox struts were tested to 15G or about 15,000 lbs before a rod-end failed - the spars were not included in the test, being replaced by steel pipes. I posted a copy of the test long ago.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Avid and Kitfox did the sandbag test back in the day. I saw pictures of it at one point in time. As you saw on TKF there is not vertical load on those pins during flight.

Posted

As a new pilot that is one of my fears when in turbulance is the structure of the aircraft.  I am not so worried about being tossed around but I do worry about structural failure because I am new to the amatuer built field. 

Thanks for your comments thus far.  Any written tests or video would be great if someone could direct me to them via a link.

Posted

Found it!

post-40-0-55324700-1375183253_thumb.jpg

Posted

That is great.  I have printed one out and put it in my file.