Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Anyone Near Kendallville Indiana?

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone Near Kendallville Indiana?

Considering a Model C and planning to view/ possibly purchase first of August.  Anyone available for a prebuy inspection?  Would be nice having someone looking it over and knowing what to look for.  Plus, I'll be like a kid at Christmas at the thought of possibly heading home with a plane.

Thanks,

S Grant

sgrantnd@gmail.com

Posted

I can do alot of your prebuy from behind my computer. Answer these questions for me and we will go from there.

1. What wing does it has? It could be the Speed Wing or STOL wing. The Speed wing has a flat bottom and the STOL wing has an uncamber.

2. What Engine does it have? Rotax 582 I'm assuming... Is it a Mod 90 (Silver Head) or Mod 99 (Blue Head) If not a 582 then please name it.

3. How many hours does the engine have and how frequently is it ran?

4. How long ago was the plane built, covered, and painted? Has it been hangared or outside?

5. What is the empty weight of the plane?

6. Does it have a Valid Airworthiness certificate, registration, and N number? Paperwork can be a huge PIA on these sometimes if parts of it are missing.

Other things to consider is Avionics and any Upgrades it might have. There is a lot of Avids For Sale right now.

If you can get the seller to give you intelligible answers for these questions that's a start. After that post them here and it will spark some discussion on things you can look at and evaluate. These are really simple airplanes for the most part. If you are mechanically inclined and have been around airplanes at all anything that is not right should jump right out at you.

Posted (edited)

Where in Indiana are you located? How far from St. Louis, MO? Dum-dum here going to mapquest.

EDMO

437 miles is a little far for me to drive at King O's gasohol prices. Must be a nice place - out of 450,000 population, there are only 18 registered sex offenders!

Sorry.

Be sure and ask about damage history, and check logbook for repairs. Look closely at tubing, especially in cockpit floor and under seat and longerons, for welding that looks like repairs. Not to say that would kill the sale, but worth looking at and asking about. Wing tips are another place to look at closely - how tight is the fabric everywhere and does the paint look good.

ED

Edited by Ed In Missouri