Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Coolant expansion tank mounting

30 posts in this topic

Posted

I put one of these on my Kitfox when the squirt bottle supplied by Sky-Screw pissed me off for the last time...  Less than $12.

Larry, I ditched the carb heat system on my 912, which air filters did you use and where did you relocate the coolant tank? Pics would be nice, I'm a visual learner. Thanks!

Posted

The filters I use, I got from LEAF.  They are a 6" diameter by about 2" thick with an offset intake port.  I don't remember the price.

I put the overflow tank on the upper right side of the firewall (from the pilot's seat) in a spot where it fit.  No science to the location.

I'll try for a photo next time I have the cowling off.  (Unless you want to look for yourself at Oshkosh.)

Posted

Sounds like you used the filter p/n I mentioned. My right side throttle and enriched cables pass through the FW directly behind the linkages, doesn't look like the overflow tank you used will fit there. Again, pics are good when possible...

Posted

Some recipes on the back of a box have a different boil time for above 6000ft msl. Leni thanks for that part number. I'm guesssing that on a system this small the airspace under the cap is enough for expansion to take place? Also why I am thinking of it what did you use that worked well to make that gap between your radiator and the fuse? I was thinking some longer bolts and piece of aluminum tubing would work. Mine is just bolted straight through the floorboard and is currently flush with the bottom of the fuse. Thinking moving it down some is in the card after your experience and the way an Avid muffler sits.

I just mounted my belly radiator yesterday but forgot to get pictures. We made 2 rails from aluminum angle mounted with clamps to the fuselage bracing then mounted the radiator to the rails. Expansion tank is mounted on the water pump side with a bracket made from more aluminum angle bolted to gearbox. If the expansion tank hadn't leaked we would have started it yesterday. Now I have to wait til next weekend.

Dan

Posted

I fired up the 532 with the new belly radiator yesterday and it isn't enough by itself at least while the plane is sitting still. Seemed a little worse with the cowling on due to the lip. I am going to run both side and belly radiator tomorrow to see how it cools. It is supposed to hit 100 here tomorrow so that should be a good test of the cooling system. I would not be able to climb with the side radiator alone. Hopefully the combination will be enough to keep me cool for tomorrow to fly to lunch. Sunday I might do some experimenting with foam and tape to smooth out the cowling lip. My radiator is hanging a couple inches below the fuselage. I had expected that I will need to make a scoop for it to force air through the radiator but wanted to try it in free air to see if it would work on its own.

Dan