Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Upgrade Brakes

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I accidently posted this topic under close calls and dumb stunts.  Sorry.  I just need input about the simplest braking upgrade I can do to my AVID.  I have the original brakes that came with it in 1990.  The pads are only on one side of the disc.

Thanks

Posted (edited)

Jeff,

I used Matco WHLB5XT brake assemblies for my wheels.  They are a triple puck brake so they greatly increase your braking power and they will work with your existing brake discs.  The are made for a 3/8 thick disc rather than the 1/4 thick disc that we have so you have to make a spacer for the fixed side of your caliper out of 1/8" plate.  It is easy to do.  The other thing I did was to go to the Matco remote reservoir Master cylinders.  I like these better to be able to mount them tighter to the lever arms on your rudder pedals.  I think you could use the master cylinders you have though, for the time being, and get the others later if you decide to.

You can look up all the parts on the Matco web site and order directly from them.

Jeff, when I originally typed this I was looking at my reciept from Matco to get the part numbers.  Yesterday I looked at the brake calipers as I was preflighting my plane and they say 6XT-HB so I am not sure what is up with that.  I think the number is for the rotor diameter.  If you decide to order them, let me make sure I have the number off of the actual brake caliper correct.

Randy

Edited by SuberAvid