Taking my daughter up for her first flight tomorrow

4 posts in this topic

Posted

She is 3.5 and I think plenty ready. I am renting a 172SP for the morning. Hoping she doesn't get scared and enjoys it. Any tips or thoughts? Gonna try and get her to leave the headset on. She'll be in the backseat with my wife.

Posted

Tell her it's going to be fun and keep the preflight lighthearted. Kids are too curious to be worried! I took My nephew up and my avid when he was about 2 1/2 years old and he loved it! We then went weightless at one point he was just giggling like hell! I took his sister who is 10, A couple weeks ago for the first time and she was all laughter. She started laughing once we came off the ground she'd never seen her world from that point of view before. It's always really cool introduce somebody to flight! Have fun. Bryce

Posted (edited)

My first two daughters flew with me before turning 4 - They went to sleep in the back seat of the 172 as soon as the wheels left the ground, and usually woke up when the tires squeaked on touchdown, except for a few rare times when emergency bathroom calls were answered at the nearest airport.

My 3rd flew when she was 7 at a young eagles event.  The 4th was too young for that flight, so an EAA buddy took her up in his Sonex, and took photos of her smiling all thru the flight.

I was lucky to go up before age 8 in the Stearmans with some WW2 pilots who were cropdusting after the war -

I got the best of the best rides, and never got scared!  Had to wait until I was about 25 to get airsick!

Make it a fun trip - and take photos - post one for us.

ED in MO

P.S.  Put her in a booster seat or on pillows, so she sits high and can see the ground easier - she should love it!

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Very cool!  Can't wait to take my grandson up.  Be sure to post pictures Joey