Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mixed fuel vs Oil Injection

2 posts in this topic

Posted

Wanted to share an experience with you that may determine mixed gas or injection.   When I first started messing around with gas around my lexan I spilled straight 87 octane on one of the doors.  The lexan instantly turned white.  I replaced it and never thought of it again until I spilled gas on the other door.  This time the door was not affected near as bad and I actually sprayed windex on it and wiped it off.  No apparent damage to the lexan.  I could not figure out why the difference until I relized that I mixed the gas with two stroke oil 50/1. 

I have seen several discussions about alcohol in fuel and the affect of fuel on the fiberglass tanks.   I am wondering if fiberglass tanks are better protected on the inside by mixing the gas.  It does add a level of safety and based upon my experience with the lexan, something changed the ability of the gas to destroy lexan when it is mixed with 2 stroke oil. 

This is just a guess. 

Test a piece of lexan yourself and see if you get the same results.

Posted

I've had this theory for quite some time after running 1200 gallons and nearly 300 hrs of ethanol laced Chevron 91 octane through my 23 yr old fiberglass tanks. I've premixed since day one. I pull my fuel outlets out twice a year and screw a 6" straight brass piece into the tank fitting with a 3ft hose on it and drain my tanks through a strainer. I've found a few pieces of crud but nothing that scared me. I have a filter between the header and the shutoff valve and a gascolator between the shutoff valve and the carbs on the firewall but I think it's overkill. The low spot is the bottom of the header.

The best part of premix are the looks you get on a cross country when a spam can driver watches me pour oil into my ratio rite cup on the tire and then pour it into the wing!!! :)