Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Changing N-numbers

1 post in this topic

Posted

I recently went through the process on my Aerotrek A240 SLSA and I have to say, it was relatively straight forward and hassle free with minimal expense. The whole process took a bit over a month for paperwork approval from the FAA in OK and to receive the new registration from them. The revised AW certificates are provided by and must be obtained from your local FSDO. A few small hoops and hiccups there due to a lost original AW cert, but a simple statement of explanation in lieu of surrendered original AW cert sufficed. After a few day for local processing, I picked up the new AW and Operating Limitations today. Interestingly, the original OL's had to be surrendered and new OL's provided to be consistent with any changes in the code since first issued. There were nine revisions to the code since the plane was first registered in 2007, which resulted in changes to (4) of the original (16) OL's  and the insertion of (1) new OL. Most were verbage changes or clarification in response to Light Sport rules changes over the past 5-6 years, and none imposed any additional restrictions. Very helpful folks at my FSDO, sat for an hour to explain everything before handing over the new docs. If you've always wanted that special (to you) tail number, it really was a pretty painless experience with no aircraft down time.