Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

HOW TO INSTALL wire for manual trim tab?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I asked this in the kitfox IV section, but not sure how many go there -

The only solution I can see is to install the control wire for the MANUAL trim tab in the fuselage before it is covered, and to run it outside the elevator after it is covered......

Any suggestions except converting to electric - that dont work for me.

ED in MO

Posted

I didn't answer you there, yet, because I still haven't formulated a plan on operating the trim tab...

But, running the cable through the unfinished fuselage to exit at the h-stab is high on the list. My mentor and friend did this with dual cables in a pull-pull fashion.

Posted

I didn't answer you there, yet, because I still haven't formulated a plan on operating the trim tab...

But, running the cable through the unfinished fuselage to exit at the h-stab is high on the list. My mentor and friend did this with dual cables in a pull-pull fashion.

I have to do this twice, since I have a manual trim tab on one elevator, and an automatic manual trim tab for the flaps on the other elevator.

Thanks,

ED in MO

Posted

Ed-

The bowden cable for the manual trim system on my Avid Mk-IV passed thru cable guides welded throughout the fuselage, then up into the H.S. behind the elevator push/pull horn inspection covers, then exited the fabric on the underside of the H.S. and connected to the trim tab horn. Most folks used something like a rudder cable cover at the fabric exit for a finished look. I had an electric trim planned so I ran nylon tubing thru the guides as a chase to protect the servo wires. You can get a pretty good idea how Avid did it by looking how I ran my tubing in the pics.

post-53-13618505872671_thumb.jpg

post-53-13618505881215_thumb.jpg

post-53-13618505892253_thumb.jpg

post-53-13618505902337_thumb.jpg

post-53-13618505913133_thumb.jpg

post-53-1361850592515_thumb.jpg

post-53-1361850593747_thumb.jpg

post-53-13618505946639_thumb.jpg

post-53-13618505956217_thumb.jpg

Posted

Thanks for the photos Doug.

Thinking back to my A&P school days - seems like the wire inside the Bowden cable coming from the HS would be a straight line, and would be bent back and forth constantly as the elevator is moved - could cause a stress break.

coming out of fuselage on elevator side would make the bend (in the ell) a torsion bend instead of straight line bend. Hope you can follow what my vision sees, but my words fail to tell.

I will look at your photos more when I am rested.

Thanks again.

ED in MO