Thermostat

2 posts in this topic

Posted

In our offload cars we drill multiple holes in our thermostat to protect our engines. Since I live in southern Nevada and will never be flying in weather colder than 30 degrees I do not think warm up will be a problem. I guess the thermostat closes in long descents and when you give it power it opens dumping cold water into the motor which causes clearance problems with the pistons causing the pistons to stick.

My reasoning is if some water is circulating all the time there should more uniform temps in the motor. I do not feel comfortable removing the thermostat completely, 2 strokes do have a temp range they are happy at and we do want to keep our motor happy.

Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated. I have done my homework but you folks seem to be very knowledgable and experience is always the best.

Posted

The Rotax thermostat has a little relief lip in it so you don't have the back pressure problem.. I fly it here in TN 95 ++++ temp and 95% humidity no problem. Bryce

quote name='rlmankins' date='21 February 2013 - 04:49 PM' timestamp='1361465394' post='10551']

In our offload cars we drill multiple holes in our thermostat to protect our engines. Since I live in southern Nevada and will never be flying in weather colder than 30 degrees I do not think warm up will be a problem. I guess the thermostat closes in long descents and when you give it power it opens dumping cold water into the motor which causes clearance problems with the pistons causing the pistons to stick.

My reasoning is if some water is circulating all the time there should more uniform temps in the motor. I do not feel comfortable removing the thermostat completely, 2 strokes do have a temp range they are happy at and we do want to keep our motor happy.

Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated. I have done my homework but you folks seem to be very knowledgable and experience is always the best.