Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Alaska AVID Flyer Survival Pack

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Can any of the Alaska Flyers direct me to what is required for the survival pack for my DAR inspection?

Posted (edited)

Can any of the Alaska Flyers direct me to what is required for the survival pack for my DAR inspection?

Get a copy of the FAA Alaska Supliment - It has probably changed since I was there - basicly it used to be shelter, gun & ammo, fire stuff, # of calories of food, signal stuff - I forget what else.

Dont forget TP......

BUT, IMO, This should be considered as "Baggage" - It is not listed on the TCDS even for Certified planes.

If you bring your plane down to the lower 48, it is not required at all.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I don't know what the DAR will require. There is a State of Alaska Statute; maybe that's what you are thinking of? Anyway, the following is a link to the statute.

AS 02.35.110. Emergency Rations and Equipment.

I would guess that asking your DAR would be the best bet. I don't think the inspection is a closed book pop-quiz. Your DAR probably isn't too concerned with enforcing state laws, but I could be wrong. And Ed's suggestion of TP is excellent.

-Nate

Posted (edited)

I don't know what the DAR will require. There is a State of Alaska Statute; maybe that's what you are thinking of? Anyway, the following is a link to the statute.

AS 02.35.110. Emergency Rations and Equipment.

I would guess that asking your DAR would be the best bet. I don't think the inspection is a closed book pop-quiz. Your DAR probably isn't too concerned with enforcing state laws, but I could be wrong. And Ed's suggestion of TP is excellent.

-Nate

Add in Pepper spray and Skeeter repellant....

ED in MO

I read the alaska statute you posted - NOWHERE does it mention a gun and ammo - That was required when I was flying there - and it is darned sure good common sense if you dont want to be bear bait....If you fly into Canada you cant have a pistol, not even a very pistol for flares! And dumb-asses wont let you carry pepperspray either!

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I agree with Ed, the survival gear should be considered bagage unless you are using it as a required weight and arm to meet your CG limits. I did that with my Avid+; I have to have a min. of 10 lb's in the farthest aft baggage area to be within my forward CG. No problem; I just put it on my W&B as required baggage. I never had the survival gear looked at as a part of my airplane airworhthiness inspection though.

It is hard to get everything you need in a survival pack into the Avid and still have room for other gear. I kept a duffle bag in mine with a minimal essential tool kit, freeze dried food, jerky and granola bars, sleeping bag, survival blanket, small tarp, first aid kit, water, bug repellant, knife, light hatchet, folding saw, duct tape, matches and fire starter, parachute cord, fishing line and some tackle, flashlight and headlamp, SPOT, tire patch and hand pump, rain jacket and light jacket, water purification tablets, small mess kit, and probably som other things I am forgetting. I always fly with at least one gun but usually two; a .22 pistol and .460 S&W. The .22 will probably be the most useful for survival but I do not go out in AK without carrying something for bears. These are always in my carry on pack though, with whatever gear I need for the day. It used to be a requirement to carry a gun with you in the plane in AK but I think that law changed a few years ago when the enlightened liberals realized that guns cannot be trusted because they can just go off on their own shooting people.

Posted

I agree with Ed, the survival gear should be considered bagage unless you are using it as a required weight and arm to meet your CG limits. I did that with my Avid+; I have to have a min. of 10 lb's in the farthest aft baggage area to be within my forward CG. No problem; I just put it on my W&B as required baggage. I never had the survival gear looked at as a part of my airplane airworhthiness inspection though.

It used to be a requirement to carry a gun with you in the plane in AK but I think that law changed a few years ago when the enlightened liberals realized that guns cannot be trusted because they can just go off on their own shooting people.

My guns are all well trained and well behaved - They only shoot critters that are willing to harm me, or things for practice!

ED in MO