Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Calculating Center of Gravity

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

If I am figuring the Moment for my left wheel for instance, the center of the axle on the main gear falls 1 inch in front of the datum line which is the string dropped off the leading edge of wing with the plane in level flight. So I am assuming that the Arm for the main gear is -1" so for the Left wheel @ 261 pounds is the moment -261 or +261.

Also, what is the design limits for the avid heavy hauler. In my manual under weight and balance it says "the following cg data may be of interest" "Forward CG is +11.185 Aft CG limit is +16.5". Is that my actual design limitations?

Thanks

:blink:/>/>

Edited by Avid Heavy

Posted

You are correct in that anything forward of the datum is a negative moment. Make sure your properly leveled before making those measurements. Those numbers you posted are the same ones I have for the fwd and aft limit. Most stock Avids the fwd limit is the one to watch. It's almost impossible to get it to the aft unless you've done an extended baggage or something.

Posted

You are correct in that anything forward of the datum is a negative moment. Make sure your properly leveled before making those measurements. Those numbers you posted are the same ones I have for the fwd and aft limit. Most stock Avids the fwd limit is the one to watch. It's almost impossible to get it to the aft unless you've done an extended baggage or something.

Level just inside wing spar connection and leveled side to side. The rear of my baggage compartment is 65" from datum. At 35lbs in baggage I am still within design limitations.

Thanks for your response. You should fly your AVID to Alaska this summer. June - August.