Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Want to Rent a Plane

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I am in Wasilla Alaska and I am looking for someone in Alaska who wants to rent their light sport (preferably Kitfox or Avid) to me on an hourly basis for my instructor to give me instruction. I would need to fly it 20 hrs or less with the instructor. The instructor has 46000 hours of flying time. Let me know what your hourly rate would be. Of course I would pay for the gas as well. The plane would need a certificate of airworthiness.

Thanks

Edited by Avid Heavy

Posted

It's not legal, in the US, to rent an Experimental Amateur Built aircraft. You will need to find an SLSA - factory built - aircraft on a flight line somewhere.

There is a company that specializes in Kitfox training in Idaho - Stick and Rudder Aviation.

Are you just looking for transition training or do you need to start/finish your certificate?

Posted

It's not legal, in the US, to rent an Experimental Amateur Built aircraft. You will need to find an SLSA - factory built - aircraft on a flight line somewhere.

There is a company that specializes in Kitfox training in Idaho - Stick and Rudder Aviation.

Are you just looking for transition training or do you need to start/finish your certificate?

Just found an instructor with a light sport aircraft.

Thanks

Posted (edited)

I am in Wasilla Alaska and I am looking for someone in Alaska who wants to rent their light sport (preferably Kitfox or Avid) to me on an hourly basis for my instructor to give me instruction. I would need to fly it 20 hrs or less with the instructor. The instructor has 46000 hours of flying time. Let me know what your hourly rate would be. Of course I would pay for the gas as well. The plane would need a certificate of airworthiness.

Thanks

Get in contact with EAA Chapter 42 in Anchorage - Tim Rittal, Real Estate Broker, was the President, and he has his plane at Birchwood - there may be some members who can help you - Believe there may be some Kitfox or Avid owners at Birchwood or Merrill field. It is not illegal to fly with them and pay for the gas.

There were letters of deviance that were issued to some flying instructors that lets them use their planes, but you would have to get the ruling from the FAA or EAA as to who and what is authorized.

Tell Tim that Ed Ashby referred you to him for help. He should be in Anchorage phone book: Real Estate Brokers.

Good Flying,

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Thanks

Maybe you can use the info of who you found to help another flyer who is in need of the same in your area?

Is his light sport comparable with the Kitfox / Avid? There are big differences in LSA's.

Good Flying,

ED in Mo

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Get in contact with EAA Chapter 42 in Anchorage - Tim Rittal, Real Estate Broker, was the President, and he has his plane at Birchwood - there may be some members who can help you - Believe there may be some Kitfox or Avid owners at Birchwood or Merrill field. It is not illegal to fly with them and pay for the gas.

There were letters of deviance that were issued to some flying instructors that lets them use their planes, but you would have to get the ruling from the FAA or EAA as to who and what is authorized.

Tell Tim that Ed Ashby referred you to him for help. He should be in Anchorage phone book: Real Estate Brokers.

Good Flying,

ED in MO

Hey ED,

Tim asked how your doing. Tim is out of loop because he crashed his Glasstar in 2009. Would be interested to know what happen for my education.

Thanks

Posted (edited)

Hey ED,

Tim asked how your doing. Tim is out of loop because he crashed his Glasstar in 2009. Would be interested to know what happen for my education.

Thanks

Tell Tim that I am aging faster than I am building my plane, but slowly getting it done.

Believe Tim and daughter went into a short strip and ran out of runway and flipped his new plane - I told him I saw a picture of a plane with wheels on top of the wings so you could land upside down - probably should not have said that, but I was overjoyed at the time because they didnt get seriously hurt or killed!

Was hoping he had rebuilt and was flying now. I left several good friends in Alaska when I moved back south.

Tell Tim I will send him a photo when I get this new bird finished.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Thanks

Curious to find out what kind of LSA ? Are you needing license or just training for Avid?

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Curious to find out what kind of LSA ? Are you needing license or just training for Avid?

ED in MO

Sport Pilot to fly my AVID in future.

Thanks

Posted

Once you get your plane done, you could get your dual in it with my old instructor, Glen Morthrop. Cool guy with lots of hours, in a lot of different planes, and some experience in my Kitfox. He's a brave soul, he kept flying with me, even after a couple mishaps, and he is not afraid of 2 stroke motors. I need to go up with him again soon anyway, and that would let him refresh himself in the airplane. He lives in Eagle River, so it would be convenient to start your adventure at Birchwood. Send me an e-mail, and I'll give you his number.