Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bondo or something lighter?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

What filler are you guys using on your fuel tanks and leading edge?

The manual says Bondo, but I know there are better, lighter fillers out there.

Thanks,

Ron

Posted (edited)

What filler are you guys using on your fuel tanks and leading edge?

The manual says Bondo, but I know there are better, lighter fillers out there.

Thanks,

Ron

My original KF2 had bondo around the strut attach fittings to make a smoother leading edge - not enough weight added to worry about.

I bought the "light weight bondo" at Walmart to blend in my leading edge extensions on the new wings.

Some dont like bondo - heard some say "it absorbs moisture", but since I applied polyeurothene varnish over the top of it and to the plywood, I dont see that as a problem.

I didnt use any filler around tanks, because the wood ribs are higher than the tanks - Only used GE Silicone II to attach tanks to spars, and seal gaps there.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

I think Polyfiber or one of these companies makes something like "featherfill". I just looked in my Superflight manual and don't see it so it must be one of the others. Might be worth browsing around in AC Spruce or such if no one else replies. Hard to say it it is any different than the lightweight Bondo. I use micro-ballons mixed into fiberglass resin for some filling I did on my cowling but not sure if it is lighter than the LW Bondo.

Edited by SuberAvid

Posted (edited)

Lots of builders use Super Fill or West Systems Epoxy with Micro Balloons to lighten the mix. Excellent adhesion and workability but expensive. Can add cotton flox or talc to lighten/stretch even further with minimal impact to strength or adhesion. Epoxy can be a real PITA to sand though...

There are several lightweight 2-part epoxy auto body fillers that won't absorb water like regular Bondo, sand easier and won't break the bank, that's what I used on a leading edge repair recently (pic). Probably be fine to add micro balloons, flox or talc to these body fillers as well if you are weight conscious.

Link to fillers --> Click here

post-53-13577478320655_thumb.jpg

Edited by dholly

Posted

Thanks for the ideas...

Ron