Door Vents

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I noticed on alot of the AVID pictures the snap in vents on the Plexi glass doors. Is that required and would I need a vent in Alaska.

Thanks

Posted

I started with 2" ones and went to 3" ones. I fly a lot when it's hot out. If nothing else I just like having fresh air when I am flying.

Posted

I noticed on alot of the AVID pictures the snap in vents on the Plexi glass doors. Is that required and would I need a vent in Alaska.

Thanks

The vents are optional - You probably wont need them unless you get around Fairbanks in the middle of summer - other option is to open doors, but that lets more skeeters in!

ED in MO - and we need bigger vents, fans on IP, or an AC down here! :lol:

Posted

I Didn't replace my vents when I replaced my windows. I live in Tennessee, and he gets plenty hot and humid down here! However, I just open the door open if you just crack it you'll get enough airflow in the aircraft. Bryce

Posted

Another option is to put a working window in the top half of the doors.

ED in MO

Posted (edited)

Another option is to put a working window in the top half of the doors.

ED in MO

Holy crap, Ed! You are going to need a type certificate for that bird (+12,000 lb)! :stirthepot:

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

I put 3" vents in mine; not required but nice and a little more controlable vs. opening the door.

It's easy to add stuff, so really think about what you add and the weight. I think it costs about $100 lb to take it off. I keep trying to figure out how to take off weight now first it is going to be really refining my required survival gear plus looking at my electrical system components.

Posted (edited)

Holy crap, Ed! You are going to need a type certificate for that bird (+12,000 lb)! :stirthepot:/>/>/>/>

What I should have told Avid Heavy was that nothing is "required" on an experimental - You add, subtract, or modify to suit your needs, as long as it is "airworthy".

There were Avid door windows in some of the manuals, and I dont think that two little hinges and a latch make that much weight - the little round vents add no weight difference because you remove Lexan to install them.

Now, If I could just figure out how to get the Subaru AC system lightened up a bit.....

.....maybe on one of the droptank mounts, or the bombbay doors, or the cropduster tank...

There were AC systems with the big radial engines....R3350???

ED in HOTMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

I've thought about adding an opening window just in case I ever get an arial wolf control permit:biggun:src="http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/public/style_emoticons/default/biggun.gif">

but then a shotgun mounted on the wing strut with a remote triger would be even more fun!

Edited by SuberAvid

Posted (edited)

I've thought about adding an opening window just in case I ever get an arial wolf control permit:biggun:src="http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/public/style_emoticons/default/biggun.gif">

but then a shotgun mounted on the wing strut with a remote triger would be even more fun!

Remote triggers are no problem - Just ask any Towel-head!

Permit? No permit needed for "self-defense"! :lol:/>

Very interesting book I read many years ago about our first "Ace": A schoolteacher from Texas by the name of Anderson, I believe, in WW1, who mounted bazookas under the wings of his small fabric-covered "air-observer" plane and "Killed" 5 German tanks with it.

BTW: When I worked for Dominion propeller in Anchorage, there were several props that came in for repair with bullet holes in them - strangely, all bullets entered from the BACKSIDE of the prop! Some owners filled the holes with lead and painted over them - when we blasted the blade, the lead would show up and got the blade condemned, and strangely, no one ever knew that the prop had been shot when they brought it in!

Moral: Shoot behind you, not in front!

Anyone want to buy a big Alaskan Alpha-Wolf headdress? Yes, it is legal - but not legal in Canada.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri