Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Orange Bomb gets some stripes

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Decided to break up the monotony of the orange and give the plane a black stripe. Also replaced the tail wheel with a Matco 8" and replaced the original 16 tires with 21" aero classic tundra. Also completed the panel. Starting to look a little like a bush plane.

Have a good new year.

post-526-13566551751058_thumb.jpg

post-526-13566553172729_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Decided to break up the monotony of the orange and give the plane a black stripe. Also replaced the tail wheel with a Matco 8" and replaced the original 16 tires with 21" aero classic tundra. Also completed the panel. Starting to look a little like a bush plane.

Have a good new year.

Looks good - Not hard to spot in the snow - Like the orange balls they use for snow golf in Palmer!

When spring comes, you can get it muddy, and haul some fish in July, and it will look and smell like bush plane!

Congrats, Is it still at Birchwood, or now at Wasilla?

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Looks good - Not hard to spot in the snow - Like the orange balls they use for snow golf in Palmer!

When spring comes, you can get it muddy, and haul some fish in July, and it will look and smell like bush plane!

Congrats, Is it still at Birchwood, or now at Wasilla?

ED in MO

It is now in Wasilla.

Posted

It is now in Wasilla.

Hoped for years that they would finally move the Capital there - but then you would have a darn TCA to fly around!

Better to stay in the bush for Good Flying.

ED in MO

Posted (edited)

I noticed you have the brake cylinders attached in stock fashion to the pedal pivot tubes. I found the hard way that in that configuration, a hard rudder input can bring the brake pedal into the opposite foot causing cross controlling brake inputs...ie.if you start to swing and try to correct with hard rudder, in the confusion, it is very easy to inadvertently input opposite braking that overpowers the rudder input. (hope that made sense.) Bottom line is that configuration is a recipe for ground loop inducement.. especially on pavement. To correct it, I mounted the fixed end of the cylinder to the floor board with an aluminum angle bracket. In that configuration, the brake pulls away from your toe as the pedal comes into your foot. Conversely, when applying hard rudder, the toe brake on the depressed rudder pedal comes into your foot, allowing more brake authority if you so choose.

I'll see if I can dig up the pictures I posted a while back. I'd hate to see you get a booboo on that nice new bird.

Edited by 166Nflyer

Posted

Here are the picks. Looking back over the previous discussion on this topic, I see that Akflyer has a fix for this problem that works well, and I think a couple others have modified the pedals to eliminate the problem. post-374-13566950779347_thumb.jpgpost-374-13566951073313_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Here are the picks. Looking back over the previous discussion on this topic, I see that Akflyer has a fix for this problem that works well, and I think a couple others have modified the pedals to eliminate the problem. post-374-13566950779347_thumb.jpgpost-374-13566951073313_thumb.jpg

Is there any way you could make these pics large enough to see w/o a magnifying glass :bugeyes:

Posted

Hmm, I cut and pasted them from a post on Feb 4 2012. Don't have access to the originals at the moment.