Just joined the Fat Avid Club

By ChrisBolkan in Fat Avids, Avid Plus and Airdale,
Hi, I just picked up a Fat Avid with about 300 hours and am in the process of going through it and looking forward to flying it. I have lots of questions, but for now just wanted to introduce myself. I am Chris Bolkan. I owned a MarkIV with a 582 that I put 1250 hours on before I bought an Avid Magnum with an 0-320 to replace it. I flew the Magnum for 450 more hours before wrecking it landing in the back country. It is at home in my garage and I am doing a long slow rebuild on it. In the mean time (while I am repairing the Magnum) I fell into a Fat Avid with a 912 in a "deal I couldn't refuse". I plan to fly until my Magnum is up and running again, or if I lose my medical qualification, which ever comes first. Currently I am going through the Fat Avid with a fine tooth comb before I take it to the air. it needs some maintenance, and since every builder likes to do things differently, I am making some changes to make it more to my liking. I hope to have it airworthy pretty soon. However, the deeper I go into the plane the more little things I am finding that need attention. It could be a couple weeks, It could be a couple months until it is ready to go. Anyway, expect some questions, and as I learn about my new aircraft I will be happy to share what I am learning. Happy new Year! Chris Bolkan
  • 232 replies