Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid aftermarket spring-loaded nose gear info wanted

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I just bought the spring-loaded nose gear from a wrecked Avid - anyone know where I can get printable info on it?

ED in MO

Posted

Hey Ed,

Chris B used to have that on his mkiv. He can probably help you. Bryce

Posted (edited)

Here's the website, however, sadly they've closed their business. I used to have the pics from the website but no longer. There are photos shown in the challenger video still there on the site. http://customflightsystems.com/ :hammerhead:

Edited by Stephen N613HH

Posted

Here's the website, however, sadly they've closed their business. I used to have the pics from the website but no longer. There are photos shown in the challenger video still there on the site. http://customflightsystems.com/ :hammerhead:

Thanks Stephen,

I have seen this video - the Challenger is a pusher and light in front - was wondering how much weight this will support - I have Soob - Got my own design which is solid and no springs - Thought this might be an alternative, but have my doubts. Didnt know that they were out of business. Might sell it someday.

ED in MO

Posted (edited)

Thanks Stephen,

I have seen this video - the Challenger is a pusher and light in front - was wondering how much weight this will support - I have Soob - Got my own design which is solid and no springs - Thought this might be an alternative, but have my doubts. Didnt know that they were out of business. Might sell it someday.

ED in MO

If I remember they had 3 different models for different weights and use duty. The picture with the Avid since it has the kayak might be Chris Bolkin's. What does your design use for suspension since it has no springs? Does the one you got have solid sides or have the lightening areas removed?

Edited by Stephen N613HH

Posted (edited)

If I remember they had 3 different models for different weights and use duty. The picture with the Avid since it has the kayak might be Chris Bolkin's. What does your design use for suspension since it has no springs? Does the one you got have solid sides or have the lightening areas removed?

I havent received the nose gear yet - believe it has solid sides and 5" tire - My design only has a couple of Belleville washers to make friction to keep shimmy down, but can add more - Solid heavy mount, and fork like Tripacer or C207, and 6x600 tire which takes the shock of touchdown - not like flimsy tube that KF uses - dont like bouncing and porpoising or collapsing on rough ground - dont fly on rocks down here either - mostly grass or concrete.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Do you know what these sold for new? Was that just the spring unit, or included wheel & tire/tube?

I sent a PM to Chris B., but no answer yet. Wonder if he is still using it?

I guess as a last resort, I will put this on the bathroom scales and see how much of my 175 pounds it takes to crunch it.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Do you know what these sold for new? Was that just the spring unit, or included wheel & tire/tube?

I sent a PM to Chris B., but no answer yet. Wonder if he is still using it?

I guess as a last resort, I will put this on the bathroom scales and see how much of my 175 pounds it takes to crunch it.

ED in MO

I don't remember the price but somewhere in my old mind the $800-900 area for the Avid model sticks. Chris sold that aircraft a while back and I am in the process of trying to contact the buyer. Will update. The wheel, tire and tube did not come with it. Did you get yours yet?

Posted (edited)

I don't remember the price but somewhere in my old mind the $800-900 area for the Avid model sticks. Chris sold that aircraft a while back and I am in the process of trying to contact the buyer. Will update. The wheel, tire and tube did not come with it. Did you get yours yet?

Still waiting for UPS. Think the nose gear - without this attachment - from Kitfox is about $1500 - never heard of any price on this part. Appreciate any info you can get.

Now going to give someone a laugh or something to jive about - my nose gear support is the front frame of a bike that cost $100 at Walmart, and I took it out of a trash can for free - The fork cost me $30 and got the tire and wheel free from salvage - Retired pilots have to build cheap! :lol: I have to buy new wheel bearings tho.

Seriously tho - the old bikes were made out of 4130 a lot - this is like strong streamlined 3" tubing.

Carbon fiber bikes should be strong and light, but dont know how to weld that yet!

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Here are the old posts on the Avid spring nose gear attachment, the old video, and the photo of ChrisB's plane with the Kayak under it.   The link is in one of the earlier posts - tried to copy it here, but failed.

AND NOW IT IS NO LONGER THERE - JUST SOME OTHER STUFF - DONNO WHY.........

Guess it is because they no longer make the nose attachment, and changed the site?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri