Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fat Avids

7 posts in this topic

Posted

How many are out there? Doesn't seem like a whole lot around, and am wondering why?

larr

Posted (edited)

How many are out there? Doesn't seem like a whole lot around, and am wondering why?

larr

Probably because Kitfox outspends them on advertising, like 100,000 to 1, and maybe limited production - maybe poor folks cant afford one (like me!) Maybe Airdale was more wanted? Magnum?

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Probably because Kitfox outspends them on advertising, like 100,000 to 1, and maybe limited production - maybe poor folks cant afford one (like me!) Maybe Airdale was more wanted? Magnum?

ED in MO

Ok, bit those of us who have seen the light of the Avid - why aer there not more Fat one flying? Do they make a good platform or does the size really reduce the performance? I would havr thought that the Fat Avid may be close to being a great airplane!

Posted

Look closely at the fat Avids and the follow on Airdale.

Now look at a Just Highlander.

See the family resemblance?

Like Dan Denny (Kitfox originator), Troy is a much better marketeer than the operators of Avid ever were or are (sorry Brett). That is why you see and hear very little about these planes. It has nothing to do with weather the plane was better or worse, it's all about the marketing support.

Posted (edited)

Look closely at the fat Avids and the follow on Airdale.

Now look at a Just Highlander.

See the family resemblance?

Like Dan Denny (Kitfox originator), Troy is a much better marketeer than the operators of Avid ever were or are (sorry Brett). That is why you see and hear very little about these planes. It has nothing to do with weather the plane was better or worse, it's all about the marketing support.

To me - family resemblance goes back several generations to the Taylorcraft, or the J1,J2,J3 Cub that Taylor designed for Piper.

Right on - Dean Wilson was a good designer when he made the Avid - but not a super-salesman.

But Dan Denny was a super-salesman when he sold the Kitfox aka Avidstein.

Then came the Pursang and Airdale, which was a good mod, but again, without a super-salesman.

All of them are good planes - each has its atributes.

Brett is struggling to stay in business, IMO

And, again, my "Foxy Flapper" / (FoxAvidstein with Flaps) I modified using Dean Wilson's design - for my own pleasure, and no intention of making them for business - I am a poor salesman anyway - and it may never be duplicated - so there we go.......

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Actually Brett is so busy he's having a hard time keeping up. His busyness stems from repair parts and a couple of major rebuilds through fabric and paint which he will no longer do.

Posted (edited)

Actually Brett is so busy he's having a hard time keeping up. His busyness stems from repair parts and a couple of major rebuilds through fabric and paint which he will no longer do.

I was referring to new sales as compared to Kitfox. I know nothing about how his business is going. But I wish the best for him.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri