Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Installing 582 bluehead in Mark IV

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has installed a 582 bluehead in a Mark IV? I tried putting my new 582 in my plane this morning and found there is not enough room for the bypass hose between the motor and firewall. so what do you do? cut a notch in the firewall to make room for the bypass hose? or route the bypass hose around the front of the motor and go into the front of the water pump? then you would need 180 turn in the hose to get back to the radiators.

If anyone has done this, I'd appreciate some help. pictures would be nice too.

thanks

Jim

Posted

Sounds like you got your hose on backwards. Route it around the front cylinder. Pic is my plugs up KF3, but you get the idea.

post-53-13435312938636_thumb.jpg

Posted

Jim I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help yesterday when you called. I'm in Spain now and have a few minutes with my laptop so I uploaded these pics for you. Our cowlings are not that different from one another. This is how your bypass hose should look. Not sure how the rest of your plumbing will work out with cheek radiators but I imagine it'll be easier than notching your firewall.

IMG_5398-1.jpg

IMG_5395-1.jpg

IMG_5384-1.jpg

Posted

After looking at this thing for a couple days I decided to leave the bypass hose at the back of the motor. that's the way it came out of the box. and to move it would have been a plumbers nightmare to get the radiators plumbed, so I cut a notch in the firewall, bent up a piece of sheet metal and pop riveted it in. It actually makes the firewall a little stronger. and now for the exhaust and muffler. The bosses on the blue head are a little different than a gray head so the mounting bracket will have to be changed a little bit , but I'm sure I can work that out. I am in need of some new (not exactly sure what you call it) the rubber belting material that lets the muffler move. If anyone knows where to get some, I'd appreciate any information. I was going to take a picture of the firewall cut into it but I had to put the motor in and take it out several times just for measurements. When it went in the last time and everything fit, I didn't want to take it out just to take a picture.

thanks

Jim