Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Best way to clean/prep spars for gluing

3 posts in this topic

Posted

So my first wing is all set up and ready for gluing together, just waiting for my wing tanks to get done which should be tomorrow, and I will test fit them to make sure all is good. If so I just need to final clean the spars and glue. I was just thinking of cleaning everything real good with denatured alcohol then wiping it all down again with acetone, will this be enough or should I do something different. I want to make sure I have the best bond that I can get. My build manual just refers to using the "de-greaser" provided with the kit but even if I did have it, it would be over 25 years old.

-Robert-

post-352-13418906307723_thumb.jpg

Posted

So my first wing is all set up and ready for gluing together, just waiting for my wing tanks to get done which should be tomorrow, and I will test fit them to make sure all is good. If so I just need to final clean the spars and glue. I was just thinking of cleaning everything real good with denatured alcohol then wiping it all down again with acetone, will this be enough or should I do something different. I want to make sure I have the best bond that I can get. My build manual just refers to using the "de-greaser" provided with the kit but even if I did have it, it would be over 25 years old.

-Robert-

Scotchbrite and a quick alcohol wipe was my method - However, I used Hysol 9430 adhesive, which is what Kitfox switched to - Better check shelf life of your adhesive - 9430 is only good for 2 years shelf.

ED in MO

Posted

Scotchbrite and a quick alcohol wipe was my method - However, I used Hysol 9430 adhesive, which is what Kitfox switched to - Better check shelf life of your adhesive - 9430 is only good for 2 years shelf.

ED in MO

Thanks for the reply Ed, I have already wiped them down with the red scotchbrite pads about 1" wide. My Hysol is new just got it from Kitfox. So it sounds like I will probably be good to just wipe them down with alcohol and acetone. If anyone else thinks otherwise please let me know why and what else I should do.

-Robert-