Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

MAP - A Non-education

3 posts in this topic

Posted

SORRY TO SAY: My AMT books and courses at University of Alaska, did not provide any helpful education for flying with the MAP gauge.

This was a mechanics course, and not intended to make us pilots.

The info gathered so far, is that, "The throttle has to be advanced before the pitch is increased.", and "The pitch must be decreased before the throttle is retarded." "MAP and EGT are used to monitor engine power and fuel use." (but did not say "how")

Guess this all means, "Don't Lug the engine"?

Sorry I can't provide more meaningful info. Maybe the round-engine pilots know more about this than us auto-drivers?

GOOD FLYING

Ed in MO

Posted

SORRY TO SAY: My AMT books and courses at University of Alaska, did not provide any helpful education for flying with the MAP gauge.

This was a mechanics course, and not intended to make us pilots.

The info gathered so far, is that, "The throttle has to be advanced before the pitch is increased.", and "The pitch must be decreased before the throttle is retarded." "MAP and EGT are used to monitor engine power and fuel use." (but did not say "how")

Guess this all means, "Don't Lug the engine"?

Sorry I can't provide more meaningful info. Maybe the round-engine pilots know more about this than us auto-drivers?

GOOD FLYING

Ed in MO

Thanks for the feedback Ed. The manifold pressure gage would at least provide a way to be consistent on the engine load and maybe get a feel for what the reading is with the throttle about 75% and 85% at 3850 RPM. Right now about the only way I can judge the engine load is by the fuel flow meter which is not a very precise way to measure this. I think I will go ahead and get a gage. There are bound to be some Subaru drivers around who can answer the question.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the feedback Ed. The manifold pressure gage would at least provide a way to be consistent on the engine load and maybe get a feel for what the reading is with the throttle about 75% and 85% at 3850 RPM. Right now about the only way I can judge the engine load is by the fuel flow meter which is not a very precise way to measure this. I think I will go ahead and get a gage. There are bound to be some Subaru drivers around who can answer the question.

If you want a MAP gauge to try, just let me know what size and I will send you one. If it works and you want to keep it, then send me a few bucks, whatever you think is fair or cheap. I think I have three. Guess I could post photos of them. you could mount it with velcro, zipties, or bubblegum until you know you want to keep it or get another one. How about 25 bucks plus shipping?

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri