Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Speed Mods

1 post in this topic

Posted

I'v been meaning to get around to this for a while but finally got it done. I fabricated some faring sheet metal for the jury strut and horiz stabilizer support tubes. I bent these up on my cheap little sheet metal brake and although it is slow and tedious, it got the job done. I wasn't sure I was ready to glue them on until I tried them so I ended up drilling them just at the depth of the tubing and attaching them with small zip ties and it worked so well I'm not in a big hurry to glue them on at all now. The pictures attempt to show the shape and attachment. I flew it for only about an hour today since I had to get to my Son-in laws birthday party but I think it made a pretty signficant difference. As we all know the Avid with the HH wing is pretty slow; my Avid+ with the warp drive seemed to hit the wall at about 82 MPH where I set it for takeoff performance, now with the IVO it hits the wall at about 95 MPH. I am not sure these farings make it much faster but before I put them on I noticed my fuel flow was around 5 GPH at about 93MPH an 3850 RPM; today I was seeing about 4.4 GPH at 93 to 95 MPH and 3850 RPM. I also had switched from skis to wheels but that typically had never really changed my cruise speed or fuel flow so I think the change is primarily from the farings. An hour flying is not much time to assess this but so far I am thinking this is not a bad mod and will definately save some fuel and extend the range. Has anyone else made this change and seen a difference?

Man I forgot how tall the Avid + is on wheels; I bounced it so much on my first landing today I am still trying to decide how many I should take credit for. Need to get the feel on wheels again but I always love the change to wheels and the change to skis. I am sure that floats are the same way; I just need to have another plane.

post-75-13344681503147_thumb.jpg

post-75-1334468324345_thumb.jpg

post-75-13344686320266_thumb.jpg

post-75-13344688956984_thumb.jpg