Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Garmin 396 vs 296

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm looking to upgrade my 196 before going to Idaho this year. The 196 does everything I need except having color terrain. I really want the terrain feature since 95% of Navigation up in the Idaho Backcountry is by flying drainage's below the mountaintops. With my 196 all I get is a straight line with NOTHING else on the screen unless I zoom way out.

Used 396's are going for $6-800. The 296's are going for about half that. I don't really need the XM weather because I simply wouldn't use it here in California and any long trip I'm on I'm flying with somebody else who has it.

If I'm going to spend the money to upgrade I might as well do it right. I want to stick with the 96 series because I already have all the accessories and mounts that will work for all of them and my airplane is already wired for one.

Thoughts?

Posted

Both are good units. If you can find a good 296 I'd recommend that.

I couldn't when I was looking, so I sprung for a 500 Aera ($800). I've been extremely pleased with it's function and operation.

Posted

Gotta love the aviation community. Here's my options after just one day of looking. A 296 for free or a 396 for my 196 + $300. Free is always good so thinking that direction but that's a smokin deal on a 396 too. What would you do?

Posted

Gotta love the aviation community. Here's my options after just one day of looking. A 296 for free or a 396 for my 196 + $300. Free is always good so thinking that direction but that's a smokin deal on a 396 too. What would you do?

Joey, I'll take the free 296 and you should go for the 396 deal :lmao:

Posted

Joey, I'll take the free 296 and you should go for the 396 deal :lmao:

I've been reading in Sport mag and Kitplanes mag about all the aps that you can get on the I-pad, including navigation and charts which now cost too much, IMO. Since my eyes are getting older, I need something larger to read. Probably in the next year, the mini-I-pad will come out. By the time I get mine built, they might even have portable TV, so I can watch "I Love Lucy" as I fly!!!

Ed in MO

Posted

The free 296 turned out to be a 295. Still a good unit but a step backwards from what I want so I opted for the 396. Gonna go fly and meet the guy as soon as I get back from this trip.

Posted

The free 296 turned out to be a 295. Still a good unit but a step backwards from what I want so I opted for the 396. Gonna go fly and meet the guy as soon as I get back from this trip.

My envy exceeds my age. I flew SAR with CAP for 11 years. How I would have loved to have your C5 when I was trailering my goods from Alaska over the ALCAN and broke down in the Yukon with 17,000 lbs behind me.

GOOD FLYING

ED in MO