Posted

We all knew it was coming eventually...

Hi

I think this engine is a non sense

what Ultralight pilot need is an ultralight injected engine

a 582 injection might be a better innovation than this too heavy 912

Avid's gross weight is 450 kg

French gross weight is 450 kg too

the more heavy is the engine the less gas or passenger weight you could bring.............

sorry for my bad English

Posted

Not to mention the price tag.

Posted (edited)

"Ultralight" is the term used at Rotax in the Canadian or European sense, meaning light sport class planes. Like our Avids and Kitfoxes, the ~1200# mtow class. Injecting a 582 makes no sense at all market wise compared to the 912 line.

At the approximate $24k they will price this thing at the will surely sell every one the make. It is very market competitive at that price against other aircraft engines.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

"Ultralight" is the term used at Rotax in the Canadian or European sense, meaning light sport class planes. Like our Avids and Kitfoxes, the ~1200# mtow class. Injecting a 582 makes no sense at all market wise compared to the 912 line.

At the approximate $24k they will price this thing at the will surely sell every one the make. It is very market competitive at that price against other aircraft engines.

$24K ????!!!!!!!! And so much maintenance? and "competing" with 1930's aircraft engines?

And a good EA81 sells for $4K to $8K.......Holy Moly! Next thing we know, Cessnas will be $150K, and AVIDS, $100K!!!!!!!!!!

What happened to the days when you could build for $2K, or buy a new 150 for $8K? or get a private certificate for $400? And thinking back farther, the Stearman I first flew cost $500 government surplus.

Way too much for po-retirees, or hamburger flippers who wanna be flyers, IMO

Sorry guys, but I don't live in that world!

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Sorry Ed, you do live in that world. We all do. Look to DC and what they have done to the dollar in the last 50 years. There's your answer.

Compare to what a new car costs now to back in the day of your examples. How about the cost of a house. A gallon of gas. A bag of f'n groceries!!!

Lamenting the days of $500 Cubs and $2500 Cessnas will do nothing but deepen your depression.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

Sorry Ed, you do live in that world. We all do. Look to DC and what they have done to the dollar in the last 50 years. There's your answer.

Compare to what a new car costs now to back in the day of your examples. How about the cost of a house. A gallon of gas. A bag of f'n groceries!!!

Lamenting the days of $500 Cubs and $2500 Cessnas will do nothing but deepen your depression.

My "depression" is only in my writing about the cost of "Aircraft" engines.

My only problem is that I can't "deepen" my bank accounts, so I have to manage my costs.

I know that the gov is partly to blame by letting the dollar be inflated: That way, they get more $ to spend, and they spend $3 for every $1 they steal from us.

My house cost less than $10K to build, now I have to pay taxes and insurance on $200K, meaning I spend the initial price of the house every 4 years just to keep it. My income never went up 2000 percent, and retirement brought it down even more.

I still think these engines are overpriced and overrated, but that is just my opinion, and I know that others may not agree.

I have a replacement EA81 sitting in the shop that cost me $800, or I can spend $300 for an overhaul on my Reductions engine in about 4000 hours.

This post has gotton too serious - no more rotax bashing from me - getting back to enjoying other things.

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The best thing about the new Rotax,is that there are enough people out there who can afford it so the price of used carburated 912s will go down, anymore you might as well figure the kit price is equal to the engine price.

Posted

The best thing about the new Rotax,is that there are enough people out there who can afford it so the price of used carburated 912s will go down, anymore you might as well figure the kit price is equal to the engine price.

Ding-ding-ding-ding-ding! We have a winner...

Posted

Why not go with the 503, it is the most dependable 2 stroke you can buy. I now am closing in on 900 trouble free hours of flying. I am not sure but I think my Bandit is one of a few Avids with this many hours. The way I have it set up now it is a really good single place airplane and a fair two place plane. Most of the guys I have talked to with a 912 or Subaru's have way less time on them. With the extra weight of the bigger engines I have to think they are a good single place airplane that cost a whole lot more. My 503 burns 5 gallons an hour. Gas at $3.50 a gallon for 900 hrs would be around $15750. If I had a 912 burning 2 gallons an hour it would be around $7875. So in 16 years I have been flying mine, I would have saved $7877 dollars in fuel. I can not justify a $24,000 engine because of fuel burn. To me I think Dean designed these airplane to be light and simple. When I look at a 912 and Subaru installation's it amazes me how they can get all that stuff under the cowling. They may be able to out run me, but I could fly circles around them and get in and out of places they could only dream about. Don't take me wrong, those airplanes are works of art, but I will stick to my Bandit with the 503.

Posted

Just saw an announcement by Kitfox that the new 912 cannot use analog gauges or any other engine monitoring system on the market. So on top of everything else you have to buy theirs at the low low price of $3900!!!! If you want one of these engines budget for $30,000.