582 guys here's something to good to check before you fly again

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Today while changing out carb boots with new ones from JBM industries I discovered something that could have led to an engine out. While moving my carbs around the T fitting in my primer line right before the carbs completely fell apart. I barely moved the lines too. I'm thinking vibration would have gotten it before much longer. That fitting came with the primer kit so I assumed it was fuel resistant. I'm using the blue 1/8" lines for primer line. I replaced it with a brass fitting from a petstore used on fish tank lines.

Best case if it would have let go in flight I would have just shot raw gas all over my engine bay the next time I primed it. Worst case it would have sucked air through the plunger leading to an engine out. Glad I found it in the hangar. There is another plastic T in my main fuel line where the primer taps off it. It's a 1/4X1/4X1/8 I'm going to be looking for a metal replacement for it too!

Posted

Today while changing out carb boots with new ones from JBM industries I discovered something that could have led to an engine out. While moving my carbs around the T fitting in my primer line right before the carbs completely fell apart. I barely moved the lines too. I'm thinking vibration would have gotten it before much longer. That fitting came with the primer kit so I assumed it was fuel resistant. I'm using the blue 1/8" lines for primer line. I replaced it with a brass fitting from a petstore used on fish tank lines.

Best case if it would have let go in flight I would have just shot raw gas all over my engine bay the next time I primed it. Worst case it would have sucked air through the plunger leading to an engine out. Glad I found it in the hangar. There is another plastic T in my main fuel line where the primer taps off it. It's a 1/4X1/4X1/8 I'm going to be looking for a metal replacement for it too!

Thanks for the Heads up Joey ,mine are plastic and I'll be checking them asap

Posted

Thanks Joey!

Posted

McMaster Carr http://www.McMaster.com