Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Some progress.......

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have managed to get the wings built and ready to set to the fuse. Went by a friend's machine shop and picked up a new set of reamers to clear out the weld burn-throughs on the lift struts and create the spar to fuse holes. I have replaced everything but the ribs. The other parts were simply un-usable. Should be able to move along a bit now. Hoping to fly it this year. I am going to really try and put in more than 20 hrs/week to it now. I know...pix or it didn’t happen. Beware the clutter of my corner of the building. Most of my time has been remaking parts...all I have left to remake is the spar attach fittings and I think the fab work will be mostly over. I have built more than 75% of what I have at this point.

post-341-13291773510007_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tree top pilot

Posted

What are you building? Never have seen ribs that look like that.

"CLUTTER"? You don't stand a chance at the Clutter Awards! You should see mine!

Congrats on Progress.

Ed in MO

Posted

It is a Ridge runner...very similar wing design to a lot of these smaller fun machines.

Posted (edited)

A couple of pics of the aileron / flap hing points that attach to the TE of the ribs. The pieces in the middle is what was supplied to me in the second picture. Also in the parts are the lift strut attach brackets before drilling, bending, and welding. I have made a jig today to bend the lift strut pieces and to position the aileron cable bearing bolt for welding. Stay tuned....pix when welds are complete. Have to fab up tie down loops and wing hold-together brackets for when they are folded.

post-341-13310788238324_thumb.jpg

post-341-1331078831337_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tree top pilot

Posted (edited)

I finally had some time to finish up the spar attach fittings to 95% point. All tacked and ready to finish up. I have made the fixtures to bend the moly plates after it had been drilled and cut to shape. Also a fixture fabricated to align the fasteners correctly- lift strut bolt and pulley stud bolt. These fit like a dream to the tube spar shape. Plus they don't look like an angry shark with one bad tooth made them. This was an fun adventure in creativity for me. I think I am ready to build a fuselage jig soon.....I want to build my own design using this wing design....with a few mods.

post-341-13314929237053_thumb.jpg

post-341-13314929359393_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tree top pilot