Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Passenger Seat Mod for baggage hauling and better Passenger Comfort

3 posts in this topic

Posted

post-374-13284268500191_thumb.jpgpost-374-13284267569572_thumb.jpgpost-374-13284264760505_thumb.jpgpost-374-13284263496738_thumb.jpgpost-374-1328426251474_thumb.jpgI frequently fly for business purposes where I need to carry odd materials, tools and supplies. After several flights with questionably secure baggage, we installed the pictured modification. This modification allowed for more secure baggage, and as well (due to extra foam on the bottom and back of the pilot's seat) allowed pilot and passenger shoulders to be staggered vertically and front to back. For me, this puts the top of my head just below the lexan offering a better over the nose view. When I get around to it , I'd like to build in a baggage compartment accessed through the passenger seat back.post-374-13284261519903_thumb.jpg

Posted

very nice, I really like the idea of off-setting the seats to allow for a bit more wiggle room. I've not actually seen a kitfox seat in person. I like yours much better than my Avid B seat. do you know if the KitFox seats will fit into an avid? It looks as though your seat has hooks that hold it to the tubing behind the seat. is this a KitFox design or did you come up with it. what size metal is used for the hooks. seems like this would make it quick and easy to remove to have better access behind the seat.

-Robert-

Posted

very nice, I really like the idea of off-setting the seats to allow for a bit more wiggle room. I've not actually seen a kitfox seat in person. I like yours much better than my Avid B seat. do you know if the KitFox seats will fit into an avid? It looks as though your seat has hooks that hold it to the tubing behind the seat. is this a KitFox design or did you come up with it. what size metal is used for the hooks. seems like this would make it quick and easy to remove to have better access behind the seat.

-Robert-

I'm not really familiar with the avid seats. My original kitfox seat had a fiberglass 2 place seat with an upholstered two seat cushion. I know early avids had a sling style seat that tied to the frame tubes which served as the inspiration for this design. With my modification, I cut the cushion in two and added a pocket to hold extra foam for the pilot. I also cut the fiberglass seat in half and discarded the passenger piece. The passenger seat sits on a net made of 1" nylon webbing and uses some custom fabricated metal hooks to attach to the cross tubes. I believe the hooks are made of 1/2 by 3/32 bar stock. Underneath the passenger seat is an aluminum pan to contain misc loose stuff like plugs etc. connected to the sides of that pan are the fabric walls of the baggage sack. To my mind, this mod allows the best of both worlds by allowing large packages to be carried and secured as well as a reasonably comfortable passenger seat. This mod allows easy access to behind the seat. My next project is to build a baggage compartment behind the seat.

Dave