Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid leading edge cuffs

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Have any on this forum had experience with the wing leading edge cuff apparently available from Bret at Airdale?

I called Kitfox aircraft and they said they do not have leading edge cuffs for the under cambered wings which my model 2 has.

What performance gains can be expected from leading edge cuffs if available for the under cambered wing?

Thanks Herman

Posted

I have the plastic leading edge on my mod 1 and I'm sure I got it from Kit Fox.

Maybe calling it "cuffs" for undercambered wings may have thrown them off.

I can't say about preformance since I didn't fly it without them

but it does look better

Posted

I think the ones that Brett has are the same as the ones from Kitfox.

However, I have never seen any evidence of performance improvements with the undercambered wing.

Posted

I have the plastic leading edge on my mod 1 and I'm sure I got it from Kit Fox.

Maybe calling it "cuffs" for undercambered wings may have thrown them off.

I can't say about preformance since I didn't fly it without them

but it does look better

Bob,

Been thinking a lot about what could possibly make your bird so much faster than mine and anybody else I have heard of for that matter. I know you think it is the prop, but I am wondering if the cuff has something to do with it, and if your CG isn't typically farther forward than most since you have the clutch and your header tank on the firewall. Have you noticed much reduction in speed when you load your rear bagage compartment? It just seems the rest of us may be adding drag when we trim for neutral cruise. Also, I can't remember, do you have droop tips?

Posted

I bought the KF5 leading edge and put them on KF2 wings. No problem with that. Should increase cruise some, maybe increase lift tiny bit. You need to make at least 4 to 6 templates out of 1/4" plywood or mdf, and make sure you get the LE on right side up. A little trim at strut attach may be needed. They come in two pieces for each wing and you will have two 6" pieces left when you trim them for the regular size wing, or leave them long to blend with tips. Foam and 9460 will close each end. I may have a copy of the wing/LE section in my KF5 manual that I could send you if you need it for making templates. Just copy it several times and glue it to the board and cut out section so you have the outside profile to fit over your wing and tape them to wing along with lots of tape on LE. If you locate the LE and put tape lengthwise along the bottom of the LE, then you can CAREFULLY take the top of the LE and open it and apply your 9460 and then tape the top back to wing. BTW I also bought the Fiberglass Butt ribs from Avid to use on my KF2.

Ed in MO

Posted

I bought one of the dremel vibrator type tools that is supposed to cut everything from wood to metal to grout. $100 - but you can now het them from several companies. Harbor Freight has several cheap ones that work just as good. $19 to $39. Best tool I have found for cutting LE, glue, wood, tubes, and anything you can think of with the right cutter. There is no other saw that I know of that will do a blind cut or make a blind square hole, or whatever you cant do with the other type saws. It sands and scrapes too. I have the 110 volt model. They make cordlessd now, but don't know about them. Ed in Mo

Posted

David...I really don't know the answer to your questions

I don't pay attention to speed most of the time because we fly

with more than one plane and we just stay togerther. I have

the rans elev trim so I dont use flaps for trim.

Everything about this mod 1 points to slow, no farings anywhere

big tires, ring cowl, drop tips, but its not.

Posted

<snip> BTW I also bought the Fiberglass Butt ribs from Avid to use on my KF2.

Ed in MO

<double-take>

Hello Ed,

I never heard of fiberglass butt ribs offered by Avid. Were these from the early Light Aero or from Avid Aircraft, and what year? I assume they are the same familiar Avid STOL/HH profile but would love some more info and pics if you got 'em. Thanks.

-Doug

Posted

<double-take>

Hello Ed,

I never heard of fiberglass butt ribs offered by Avid. Were these from the early Light Aero or from Avid Aircraft, and what year? I assume they are the same familiar Avid STOL/HH profile but would love some more info and pics if you got 'em. Thanks.

-Doug

Think I have a pair still boxed up. Pretty sure they came from Avid. My magnum manual has them in it. Maybe for magnum? Maybe not?

I will check on this and let you know. Mine are not for sale.

Ed in MO