Matco brake

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Has anyone found a source for a replacement rubber boot for the MC-1 cylinder? Matco no longer has them.

Posted

Has anyone found a source for a replacement rubber boot for the MC-1 cylinder? Matco no longer has them.

How about asking Matco if the MC-5 boots will work? I have the MC-1, but don't know what you mean by "boot". where does it go? Ed

Posted

How about asking Matco if the MC-5 boots will work? I have the MC-1, but don't know what you mean by "boot". where does it go? Ed

I found some that are the same. They are a dust boot that go on the top of the cylinder. Matco says they are not necessary but since the top of the MC-1 is recessed I would prefer to have them to keep any excess accumulation of crap from building up in there. It also helps keep any fluid spillage/leakage from getting out on to the cylinder.

http://centrevilletrailer.com/parts/part_detail.cfm?productid=3823

post-211-13267525667952_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hey Stephen,

If you can get some pics of your rudder pedals and how they attach to the master cylinder, could you please post some pics? i'm going to modify my pedals as my set up is the original, which has the geometry all wrong. Looks like you heave the correct geometry. Thanks, Bryce

Posted

Hey Stephen,

If you can get some pics of your rudder pedals and how they attach to the master cylinder, could you please post some pics? i'm going to modify my pedals as my set up is the original, which has the geometry all wrong. Looks like you heave the correct geometry. Thanks, Bryce

Bryce,

Do these help? I believe mine are just original but have always worked just fine.

Stephen

post-211-13270196521533_thumb.jpg

post-211-13270196890569_thumb.jpg

post-211-13270197312582_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Hey, those photos are like nothing I have seen before on Kitfoxes. Have seen several sets and the MC-1 tab is down almost to the pivot shaft. On 3 sets of mine, the pedal is pointing the other way. So the tab is down from the curved part of the pedal. Some of mine have half-pedals like these and others have full pedals (tubes coming from top and bottom of pivot tube) and one set is short and the other is long.

My friends Airdale has aluminum plates where these tube pedals are.

what MC are these for? I am guessing the MC-1, as that is where we started. Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Hi Stephen,

Those are exactly what i need. You have the correct geometry for the master cylinder to develop enough brake pressure. My pedals, which are incorrect, have the tab that attaches to the master cylinder mounted 90 degrees to the pedal. Your's looks to be about 45 degrees. My brakes won't hold past 3,000 rpm and are pretty useless in general because of this. Could you please measure the angle and let me know and also email these pictures to me at brycecuster@gmail.com I'm going to do what Ralph, from the Yahoo site did, and cut away the tabs and weld back on at the proper angle. Thanks abunch, Bryce

Posted

Hey, those photos are like nothing I have seen before on Kitfoxes. Have seen several sets and the MC-1 tab is down almost to the pivot shaft. On 3 sets of mine, the pedal is pointing the other way. So the tab is down from the curved part of the pedal. Some of mine have half-pedals like these and others have full pedals (tubes coming from top and bottom of pivot tube) and one set is short and the other is long.

My friends Airdale has aluminum plates where these tube pedals are.

what MC are these for? I am guessing the MC-1, as that is where we started. Ed in MO

Ed,

They are from an Avid C HH. The cylinders are MC-1.

Stephen

Posted (edited)

Hi Stephen,

Those are exactly what i need. You have the correct geometry for the master cylinder to develop enough brake pressure. My pedals, which are incorrect, have the tab that attaches to the master cylinder mounted 90 degrees to the pedal. Your's looks to be about 45 degrees. My brakes won't hold past 3,000 rpm and are pretty useless in general because of this. Could you please measure the angle and let me know and also email these pictures to me at brycecuster@gmail.com I'm going to do what Ralph, from the Yahoo site did, and cut away the tabs and weld back on at the proper angle. Thanks abunch, Bryce

Bryce,

I didn't save the pics but you can save from the ones posted. Here are more showing the angles from the end.

Left is 30 degrees

post-211-13270753894341_thumb.jpg

Right is 10 degrees

post-211-13270754369631_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stephen N613HH

Posted

I found some that are the same. They are a dust boot that go on the top of the cylinder. Matco says they are not necessary but since the top of the MC-1 is recessed I would prefer to have them to keep any excess accumulation of crap from building up in there. It also helps keep any fluid spillage/leakage from getting out on to the cylinder.

http://centrevilletrailer.com/parts/part_detail.cfm?productid=3823

post-211-13267525667952_thumb.jpg

Got the new boots today. They couldn't be more identical to the originals. 2 of them delivered for $15.29

Posted

Got the new boots today. They couldn't be more identical to the originals. 2 of them delivered for $15.29

Great - Now what is Gizmo I saw in your photo next to the Remove before Flight streamer - I am so nozy!

Ed in MO

Posted

Great - Now what is Gizmo I saw in your photo next to the Remove before Flight streamer - I am so nozy!

Ed in MO

???? Not sure what you are seeing...which photo? Coincidence, my dog is named Gizmo.

post-211-1327172938265_thumb.jpg

Posted

???? Not sure what you are seeing...which photo? Coincidence, my dog is named Gizmo.

post-211-1327172938265_thumb.jpg

Gizmo looks great, but "Old Geezer" (ME), must have put this on the wrong string. It went with the Lexan TD photos, and I got an answer.

I used to say that this old Dinosauer is enept with puters:

Guess I should change that to invalid. Not senile yet, I remember most mistakes - just mostly lost with newfangled contraptions.

I can still drive a wagon pulled by mules, and keep it on the runway! ;<))

Ed in MO