Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Reductions EA81

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi, I'm new here. Years ago, 2003, I bought a used EA81 with a belt Prsu from Reductions in Canada. I needed info on the drive ratio and belt info / vender info, and specs on the engine mount washers and bolts, so I wrote to Mr. Dave Johnson, the owner of Reductions. His wife just wrote that Mr. Johnson had died Sept. 22, 2011, and the business is closed.\

Does anyone have info, or know of someone who has info which might answer my questions? Thanks,

Ed in Missouri

Posted

Hi, I'm new here. Years ago, 2003, I bought a used EA81 with a belt Prsu from Reductions in Canada. I needed info on the drive ratio and belt info / vender info, and specs on the engine mount washers and bolts, so I wrote to Mr. Dave Johnson, the owner of Reductions. His wife just wrote that Mr. Johnson had died Sept. 22, 2011, and the business is closed.\

Does anyone have info, or know of someone who has info which might answer my questions? Thanks,

Ed in Missouri

Hi Ed, welcome aboard. I think I might have that same redrive on the motor I had before the Stratus. If you can post a picture of it I probbly can tell. You can determine the ratio by counting the cogs on the crank pulley and the cogs on the prop pulley and dividing the number on the crank into the number on the prop. It is probably 2.2:1. The redrive I have uses a 4" wide belt. I have an extra brand new belt (I think it is a goodyear) I paid $75 for it but would sell it for $50 if you want it. I can get the numbers off of it for you.

My engine mount goes to the engine block and not the redrive. The engine mount was originally an Avid mount that Airdale modified for my Avid+. Brett at Airdale may be a source for this mount. For the mounting hardware on the block, Status sells these that bolt directly to the engine block and incorporate 4 conocal rubber mounting points like standard lycomming and Continental mounts. All the rbber parts are included; the bolts through these are 3/8" AN bolts. the bolts to the engine are the head studs and other metric bolts for the existing tapped holes in the block.

Randy

Posted

Hi Ed, welcome aboard. I think I might have that same redrive on the motor I had before the Stratus. If you can post a picture of it I probbly can tell. You can determine the ratio by counting the cogs on the crank pulley and the cogs on the prop pulley and dividing the number on the crank into the number on the prop. It is probably 2.2:1. The redrive I have uses a 4" wide belt. I have an extra brand new belt (I think it is a goodyear) I paid $75 for it but would sell it for $50 if you want it. I can get the numbers off of it for you.

My engine mount goes to the engine block and not the redrive. The engine mount was originally an Avid mount that Airdale modified for my Avid+. Brett at Airdale may be a source for this mount. For the mounting hardware on the block, Status sells these that bolt directly to the engine block and incorporate 4 conocal rubber mounting points like standard lycomming and Continental mounts. All the rbber parts are included; the bolts through these are 3/8" AN bolts. the bolts to the engine are the head studs and other metric bolts for the existing tapped holes in the block.

Randy

Posted

Randy, Thanks for the reply. I am old, and puter inept. Maybe daughter can help me post a photo.

My mount goes both to engine and the redrive. I have a video that Dave Johnson made, and in it he said that the EA81 was 1.84 ratio. But when he wrote me about new ones, he mentioned only 2.1 and 2.35 ratios. The original owner said he thought it was 1.8, but he was very uncertain about lots of things. He had bought it used. My belt is still in one piece, but getting old. I would like to have your belt if it is the right one. How about just measuring the belt length and width? I think they are all 8mm teeth. Don't know what company makes them or if they will interchange with Gates Poly________?

Please let me know what your belt measures and I will measure mine.

my phone is 314-753-8587 afternoons CST. Ed

Posted

Randy, Thanks for the reply. I am old, and puter inept. Maybe daughter can help me post a photo.

My mount goes both to engine and the redrive. I have a video that Dave Johnson made, and in it he said that the EA81 was 1.84 ratio. But when he wrote me about new ones, he mentioned only 2.1 and 2.35 ratios. The original owner said he thought it was 1.8, but he was very uncertain about lots of things. He had bought it used. My belt is still in one piece, but getting old. I would like to have your belt if it is the right one. How about just measuring the belt length and width? I think they are all 8mm teeth. Don't know what company makes them or if they will interchange with Gates Poly________?

Please let me know what your belt measures and I will measure mine.

my phone is 314-753-8587 afternoons CST. Ed

Hi Ed, I checked the belt today and it is a Gates 8808MGT85. The width is 3 5/16" but I didn't measure the length. I think the number represents the length, teeth and width but not sure. Possibly 880mm length, 8mm teeth and 85mm width? I don't have a calculator handy at the moment and I always have to look up the conversion. I guess I will never fully get my mind changed over to metric. See if your existing belt has same numbers. I can measure the length as well just to be sure.

Randy

Posted

Hi Ed, I checked the belt today and it is a Gates 8808MGT85. The width is 3 5/16" but I didn't measure the length. I think the number represents the length, teeth and width but not sure. Possibly 880mm length, 8mm teeth and 85mm width? I don't have a calculator handy at the moment and I always have to look up the conversion. I guess I will never fully get my mind changed over to metric. See if your existing belt has same numbers. I can measure the length as well just to be sure.

Randy

Posted

Randy,

My belt measures 3 1/2 wide and about 32 inches long measured on the outside. I will try to convert my numbers into sillymeters, and see what your numbers might mean in "Merican". If we have a near match, and I think the 3 5/16 is close enough, then call me this afternoon, or whatever afternoon you can and let me know where to send a check and I will pay shipping - maybe $10 more?

Thanks again, Ed 314-753-8587 Mo.

Posted

Randy, Just figured the 32 inches vs the 880 sillymeters and they don't match. Looks like 32 is 800. 880 is 35 inches. Please go ahead and measure around your belt. If it is 32, then we have a match, but if not - Thanks for trying. Now I need to find a supplier for Gates or some brand of belt.

Ed in Missouri

Posted

Randy, Just figured the 32 inches vs the 880 sillymeters and they don't match. Looks like 32 is 800. 880 is 35 inches. Please go ahead and measure around your belt. If it is 32, then we have a match, but if not - Thanks for trying. Now I need to find a supplier for Gates or some brand of belt.

Ed in Missouri

hi Ed, I measured it and it is 35 1/4" outside so you are right about the numbers. Sorry this one won't work for you. I got this one at the local bearing supply outlet. They carry all kinds of bearings and industrial belts and such. They should be able to cross match your numbers.

Randy