Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Are the Fat Bastards Still Built

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I am almost finished with my Avid build, and was wondering if Brett is building the Fat Avid anymore, I tried emailing him but haven't received an answer yet, Since I don't have an exact date as to when I wwill have the money, I hate to bother him with a phone call. My options are either Luceairs Buttercup, a zenith 701 or 750, or the Fat Avid, there is something to be said for building from a kit versus plans. the zenith 750 is bigger than I need, the highlander is completely a dream and Kitfox quit building the Model IV Does anyone know what he charges for a complete kit wings and all?

Posted

I am almost finished with my Avid build, and was wondering if Brett is building the Fat Avid anymore, I tried emailing him but haven't received an answer yet, Since I don't have an exact date as to when I wwill have the money, I hate to bother him with a phone call. My options are either Luceairs Buttercup, a zenith 701 or 750, or the Fat Avid, there is something to be said for building from a kit versus plans. the zenith 750 is bigger than I need, the highlander is completely a dream and Kitfox quit building the Model IV Does anyone know what he charges for a complete kit wings and all?

Someone told me they were recently quoted 16K for a complete kit. I am not sure if that's from Brett's mouth or not or whether it was a Fat Avid or not. So your finishing a build and already looking towards your next one.... :drool3:

Posted

I quit drinking so I have to find something else to keep me out of trouble. I have alot more time on my hands and you can only fly so much when it comes down to it, I had to give up motorcycles and I like building things. I hope 16k is right I will be getting a good sized check in but the railroad likes to hold onto cash as long as they can get away with it, If anyone hears a better price or talks to Brett pass the word please.

Posted

The first conversation I had with Brett after he bought Airdale suggested that he was not going to produce any more Avid Plus kits, or even the frame for Fat Avid upgrades. With the LSA rules finalized, he felt the better business decision was to concentrate on producing the higher M.T.O.W. Airdale Flyer kits and, eventually, an SLSA. One of the last times we spoke I got the impression he may be reconsidering, so it may be worth shooting him another email. For some reference, I think 'old' Airdale priced the Fat Avid upgrade package somewhere around $5-6k, and came with with doors, instrument panel and dash, while the complete Avid Plus kit was around $15-16k without FWF and instruments. I can check my papers if you want, I bot my complete kit second hand but have the original invoice and pull sheets. BTW, Earl Luce lives about a half hour across town from me and both the man and plane are held in high regard. However, FWIW, I think that 'kit' is a whole lot closer to scratch-built than the others.