Anyone tried one of these lights??

35 posts in this topic

Posted

Leni,

I'm definitely interested, seems like a hellavadeal! I have some Wheelen strobes on my tips, and have been wanting to add some landing lights, just haven't got to it. This may be the ticket ! Keep us posted, Bryce

Posted

Leni,

I'm definitely interested, seems like a hellavadeal! I have some Wheelen strobes on my tips, and have been wanting to add some landing lights, just haven't got to it. This may be the ticket ! Keep us posted, Bryce

I have a strobe on the tail and LED landing lights on my gear legs right now. The LED landing lights I have are VERY bright and can be seen from a very long distance off, but the wig wag lights really do get attention a lot easier. If I am not happy with the LED lights that come with the kit, I may just try out the control module on my current LED lights and go that route. Gotta love the "experimental" experimenting!

http://www.visionxus...162f6684e65db03

This is the light I am currently using for landing lights. I also have them for helmet lights on my snowmachines! Very bright, with less than 1 amp draw between the pair of them so they are rotax 2 stroke friendly!

BC.gif

Posted

I'm game to see what these are all about, too...

Posted

I just ordered a set of these to see how they work... For 40 bucks I am not expecting much, but if they work and give me better visibility I am all for it! We had too many mid airs up here this summer so I am all for making myself visible!

http://www.crazedpilot.com/wig-wag-airplane-strobe-landing-light-system-led-lights/

:BC:

I wish I would have known about these before I bought my big heavy ass wing tip strobes for 350 bucks.These would be perfect for my plane.

Posted

I am interested as well. My Rockcrawler has 6 forward facing lights and 6 lights underneath for night wheeling. I'm all about lighting! I only have a strobe on my tail and NO other lightning on my plane.

Posted

I think that KF-III is owned by WildIrish over at the TKF forums. Might want to PM him for his input.

Posted

here is my input...

I have these lights and I think in the dark, they don't put out enough light to walk by.

They are NOT landing lights, they are lights to let other people see you. Nav lights.

As I read the ad I was hoping more onto the landing light side.

They are very bright when you look at them and can be seen for long a distances but

don't lightup object for very far. Their like an LED flash light, the actual light doesn't go very far

but can be seen from afar.

Its all in the reflectors.

Posted (edited)

They are very bright when you look at them and can be seen for long a distances but

don't lightup object for very far. Their like an LED flash light, the actual light doesn't go very far

but can be seen from afar.

I really wouldn't equate them to an LED flashight, they are a strobe system with a Landing light mode.

The video over on our website www.CRAZEDpilot.com shows them pretty well (scroll to the bottom of the page).

They are bright durring the daylight for being seen by other aircraft - we feel they are adequate for

for operations before dusk and the wigwags are tremendous in getting attention. We do not

officially make any statements about their use as FAR night lighting for liability purposes, but they

definately get your aircraft seen, and for $39 that's cheap insurance for most of our customers.

Thanks again for your interest everyone, and if you have questions check out the video demo at the

link above and don't hesitate to contact us at the website for questions.

~CRAZEDpilot

Edited by wildirishtime

Posted

I really wouldn't equate them to an LED flashight, they are a strobe system with a Landing light mode.

The video over on our website www.CRAZEDpilot.com shows them pretty well (scroll to the bottom of the page).

They are bright durring the daylight for being seen by other aircraft - we feel they are adequate for

for operations before dusk and the wigwags are tremendous in getting attention. We do not

officially make any statements about their use as FAR night lighting for liability purposes, but they

definately get your aircraft seen, and for $39 that's cheap insurance for most of our customers.

Thanks again for your interest everyone, and if you have questions check out the video demo at the

link above and don't hesitate to contact us at the website for questions.

~CRAZEDpilot

Hey wild, nice to see you over here! I should have a report on these lights after the weekend! :BC:

Posted

First let me appologize to Wild, The lights are great for what they do, do.

But, It was "me" who considers a landing light something that lets the pilot

see where he is going to land and not let the people on the ground see he is coming.

However these lights are great for being seen and I will sertinly use them for that.

Posted

Hey wild, nice to see you over here! I should have a report on these lights after the weekend! :BC:

Leni,

How did these lights do for landing illumination? Bryce

Posted

Leni,

How did these lights do for landing illumination? Bryce

not so good for landing lights, or even taxi lights, but great for recognition! I am going to try hooking my Xtreme Vision lights up to this controler and see if they will handle it.

Posted (edited)

:french11::banghead: Same lights on ebay for $4.89 delivered. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TR-2-x-22-LED-Flash-Flashing-Strobe-Grill-Light-white-/320819122782?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab24f525e Strobe control included can be used as is or add this strobe control for $4.95 + $2.99 USPS = $12.83 delivered for all. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2Flsc-100b.htm Other mounting styles available as well but the main 22 LED package is the same. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=22+led+strobe+light&_sacat=See-All-Categories Edited by Stephen N613HH

Posted (edited)

:french11::banghead: Same lights on ebay for $4.89 delivered.

They appear to be similar lens molds but not identical items at all. Those don't have the wig-wag

or landing light mode that ours does - those are strobe only with no warranty from China

and no quality control. The above mentioned lights are for ricerocket cars and their flimsy

pastic mounts brake off mid-flight (other customers have tried them then purchased ours).

Ours went thru a year-long on-aircraft trial before ever being marketed to the pilot community.

These are all the reasons to spend a few extra dollars on anything these days that

you find on the web - someone sells something that looks similar for cheap, but rarely as good.

Here is a link to our aircraft strobe lights again for you to compare if you want to for fun...

Thanks guys keep safe! If you have any questions about our lighting systems see link below to message us.

www.CRAZEDpilot.com

~Brendan

Edited by wildirishtime
1 person likes this

Posted

I have a strobe on the tail and LED landing lights on my gear legs right now. The LED landing lights I have are VERY bright and can be seen from a very long distance off, but the wig wag lights really do get attention a lot easier. If I am not happy with the LED lights that come with the kit, I may just try out the control module on my current LED lights and go that route. Gotta love the "experimental" experimenting!

http://www.visionxus...162f6684e65db03

This is the light I am currently using for landing lights. I also have them for helmet lights on my snowmachines! Very bright, with less than 1 amp draw between the pair of them so they are rotax 2 stroke friendly!

BC.gif

I too have the visionX 10 watt 2 inch LED. Very bright at 900 lumens per lamp and very rugged. Haven't mounted them to the plane yet, but have fired them up. They compete nicely with regular car headlights in the dim setting to give an idea of the brightness ability to illuminate. Maybe not a landing light for grass strips at night, but certainly and adequate taxi light in the pitch black, and can be seen for miles.

Chris Bolkan

Posted

They appear to be similar lens molds but not identical items at all. Those don't have the wig-wag

or landing light mode that ours does - those are strobe only with no warranty from China

and no quality control. The above mentioned lights are for ricerocket cars and their flimsy

pastic mounts brake off mid-flight (other customers have tried them then purchased ours).

Ours went thru a year-long on-aircraft trial before ever being marketed to the pilot community.

These are all the reasons to spend a few extra dollars on anything these days that

you find on the web - someone sells something that looks similar for cheap, but rarely as good.

Here is a link to our aircraft strobe lights again for you to compare if you want to for fun...

Thanks guys keep safe! If you have any questions about our lighting systems see link below to message us.

www.CRAZEDpilot.com

~Brendan

Brendan,

The post was not to diss your product but offer some alternative ideas for those who are capable of reusing available products for experimenting at low costs. I apologize if you took it that way. After all, we are a bunch of experimenters and designers that come up with some cool ideas and alternatives to the high price of aviation products but work great for our needs and uses. Remember when landing lights were a row of cars with their headlight pointing down the field and recognition was a flashlight pointed in your direction? We've come a long way. I'm sure your product and customer service are great and since it sells others agree.

However, some points to consider...

- No available 22 LED panel/lens combo is going to provide enough light output, measured in lumens, to provide adequate lighting to use as general use landing lights so they could be considered mostly useful for visual recognition or conditional use taxi lights. Very high power LEDs have not yet been available in this configuration and would be costly without a larger market for someone to tool up for. The VisionX seem to be the best choice but are not cheap.

- The housing for the panel I referenced is more than adequate to keep the elements out and mounting capability is available in half a dozen different styles, plastic and metal. They are designed for high speed applications and appear to be durable. Hopefully someone that can build an aircraft would mount their chosen version in a way that it wouldn't just fly off the aircraft. If you wish to send me a sample LED panel I will compare it with the others and report on the comparison and return it to you.

- I would bet that your product is made off shore. I haven't seen any USA made LED panels that sell in this price range. Even the professional panels used on emergency vehicles are mostly off shore products regardless of who is the distributor or where they are located. I personally have found the ebay and other China suppliers quite reputable and easy to work with if you have a product problem. For the price, though, warranty would not be much of an issue.

- The strobe controls available are easily switched and wired if you desire continuous light rather than just strobe. However, strobe would be the generally useful mode unless you could get more light out of this kind of panel. The control shown in the referenced example does have the capability of strobing one panel then the other alternately which I presume is what you are calling "wig-wag".

Keep on experimenting!!!!

Regards,

Stephen EE

Color Country Electronics

Posted

Just ordered the lights. Can't have too many. Alaska requires more than down here, but still had close calls up there too. Best one was white plastic coming out of canyon on my left near Birchwood. Green light showed on his right wingtip as he met me headon in 2 seconds, either upside down, or lights on wrong????????

Thanks for the info.

Posted

Are there any updates on this topic?  Leni?

Posted

The controler for the lights didnt like hooking them up to the Vision X.. I didn't figure that it would as the wires on the "landing light" are smaller than a paperclip. 

I have 2 of the vision X lights and they do work great on snow for a landing light, but I have not tried them on grass as it just does not get dark here in the summer.

Posted

Leni,

I realize it's an old thread but have you had a chance to use these lights in the dark yet? I'm searching for landing lights in the hope I can get things straightened out soon and be able to start the upgrade for night operations soon. Looks like the Vision X might be a good way to go.

Posted

That company is now offering an updated controller that will handle 5W each channel.  This will allow the use of real LED lights that could act as a landing/taxi light.

Posted

The vision X work good for us 2 strokers!  Since you have a real alternator you can probably get a better brighter light than I can run.  The vision X does all I need it to do, but I am not flying into completely blacked out strips in the middle of the night :lol: During the summer I am floats and it does not really get dark enough to need a landing light, only use it for recognition.  In the winter I am on skis and it works awesome as a landing light on the snow.  It greatly outperforms the head lights on my snowmachine when I use it as a helmet light.  I can light up trees 400' across the lake with it.

I will have to check out the new controller they are offering, that looks like the ticket! 

Posted (edited)

Anyone know how to convert lumens into candlepower?  Doug, where are you?

Lostman,

With your big alternator, you can run halogen or hid lights - the 55 watt driving lights wont do the job - I have a pair of 100 watt combo driving and fog lights that I am hoping will work - got to hook them up to a battery some night and test them.

I also have the LED wigwag lights from CrazedPilot - for recognition lights on wingtips - but not bright enough for landing lights.

EDMO

One idea I had was to mount one of those million or 3 million candlepower portable spotlights in the cowl, and run the wires to a switch in the cockpit.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed, we think a lot alike. This is where my search started was with high intensity handheld spot lights. I found one I really like but have an issue taking a $70 light that's brand new and pulling it apart. Trust me it's crossed my mind and I might still go that route. I'm sure I could do fine with just one light that way too.

I know the advantage of having a full alternator are great for lighting and other energy, but I still want to keep it very light weight.

One thought I was contemplating is making my own focused lens out of fiberglass with a good quality chrome paint as the reflector. That way I could make it shaped like I want, deep and very focused out the front and still put in the really high intensity LED lights so that it doesn't weigh hardly anything and also won't burn out bulbs. That's one of my main considerations for the LED as well as weight. I know typical landing light longevity is not real good, the vibration from the airframe when they are on really wears on them quickly.