Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Battery placement

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a 582 rotax for an engine, plan on using a belly radiator, am interested in where I should put the battery, I have heard of people mounting them every where from the firewall to the back of the seat to the tail of the plane, wich location should I use in order to keep the center of gravity towards the rear of the envelope?

Posted

I have a 582 rotax for an engine, plan on using a belly radiator, am interested in where I should put the battery, I have heard of people mounting them every where from the firewall to the back of the seat to the tail of the plane, wich location should I use in order to keep the center of gravity towards the rear of the envelope?

I'd build a tray right behind your seat. You don't need it all the way back unless your way nose heavy like the Soob guys. The key is to make it easily accessible. The other thing to consider is the farther from the starter the more amps you lose in the line. What battery are going to go with? I had to pull start my airplane in Idaho when it was 25-30 in the mornings because my little pissy ATP battery doesnt' have the CCA for that. I'm going to replace it with an Odyssey soon.

Posted

Sounds good, It will be easier to mount behind the seat. I planned on using the oddyssey but I havent decided bewtween the 545 or the 680.

Posted

Sounds good, It will be easier to mount behind the seat. I planned on using the oddyssey but I havent decided bewtween the 545 or the 680.

In my MK 4 I had it mounted in a tray about a foot behind the seat. It kept it in the CG range and was easily accessible. I think mounting it further forward will put you at the very front of the CG range even with a 582, but you don't need to go all the way to the tail. I suggest the 680; that is what I ran and still use in the Avid+ with the Subaru. The 582 seems to be a bit hard to start when it is cold and you will appreciate the extra amps.

Posted

batt01.jpg

batt02.jpg

Posted (edited)

What kind of clamps are on the tubes in upper part of photo? They look expensive. Do they work better than Adel clamps?

What battery is that?

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

What kind of clamps are on the tubes in upper part of photo? They look expensive. Do they work better than Adel clamps?

What battery is that?

ED in MO

The battery is a enersys SBS 15

http://www.enersysreservepower.com/documents/US-SBS-RS-005_0908.pdf

the clamps are from my house (electrical parts) (don't have adel clamps the day I made it)

Posted

I too like the 680...I have it on my Starduster, turning a Lycoming O-320. I have had it for 4 years and it is still cranking strong! I actually flew it about 10 times with a bad alternator and didn't realize it until I finally saw the volts hanging around 11 during flight. I'm telling you it is one great battery, and another cool thing is that you can mount it upside down if you want to because it is a dry cell.

There is my two cents...

Ron