Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

KitFox II Wings

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a question for the Kitfox guys. I'm helping a friend put together a Model 2. This project sat for maybe 20 years. The wings are mostly completed and not covered. We bolted the wings onto the fuselage today and attached the lift struts. There is a 1 5/8 difference from the wing tips to the rear of the fuselage. We used the builders manual to reference the measuring points. The fuselage looks straight. Any ideas would be appeciated.

Thanks, Keith

Posted

Are you saying that when you measure from the same place on the tail to the wingtips you have 1 5/8" difference in measurement?  That would put one wing in front of the other if that's what you mean.  I think I know what I would do, but want to know that what you are saying is what I'm thinking.  Make sense?  JImChuk

Posted

Hi Jim, yes that is exactly what is going on. One wing is in front of the other.

Posted (edited)

I suppose one of the front spar bolt holes was drilled in the wrong place (obviously).  I'm guessing the factory would say replace the spar.  I wonder though if one was to put steel doublers inside and outside of the spar and bolt them on with 10/32 AN screws if it would end up just as strong as the inside doublers and spar tube riveted together with SS pop rivets and epoxy as the plans show.  I'm not saying do this, but throwing it out there for others to comment on.  JImChuk

I shouldn't have assumed that it was one of the front spar holes in the wrong place.  Could be the back one just as well, or a combination of all of them.  Maybe pull a string down the center of the fuselage back to the tail and calculate what wing is square with the fuselage.  Using  3, 4, and 5 or increments of that will show what is square.  Suppose you could put a mark on the string in line with the back of the spar.  Make another mark 6' from that mark on the string.  Next measure from the string down the length of the spar and make a mark at 8'.  If that wing is square with the fuselage, you should read exactly 10' from the mark on the string to the mark on the spar.  Think of a triangle, 6' x 8' x 10' Once you know what wing is off, you can address it further.  

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Jim , we will get some careful measurements and post the results.