Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox 1 ( highly modified ) build up

1 post in this topic

Posted

Giday, Lads. I bought an unbuilt Kitfox 1 clone ( Raven ) a while back and started to do some common mods to make it safer and more convenient for me to fly. So far I have made the back of the turtle deck / front of vertical stab larger, made up some taller and wider landing gear, converted some upper tubes in the cabin overhead, strengthened the cabin cage and converted the control column to a single center seat, right side stick configuration. I'm just about done building up a Prosealed riveted front fuel tank behind the panel which might come out at about 5. 1/2 US gallons. 

I will power it with a Verner 5V radial engine which I now fly on my little Headwind. ( youtube search Headwind first flight Kars Verner radial and you'll see a bit of it flying recently ). I've compiled quite a list of upgrades needed on the early Kitfox's to make them safer and now I'll ask for some suggestions on the flaperons. I'm aware that the hinges and wing attach points need attention. The ribs were already made and the lad did a nice job on them. I think I'd like to upgrade those fixings to a much newer type of Kitfox like maybe a six and reinforce the aft sides of the ribs then attach a left and right hangar on the top which droops down to attach the flaperon hinge to. Comments..thoughts please ? I haven't built the flaperons yet and see that mine were designed with a flat bottom but the later planes had a symmetrical flaperon. Upgrade to that too ? My package came with two nicely built fiberglass wing tanks ( probably the 6 gallon size ) and they are new and unused but built about 20 or so years ago. They have some coating on the inside but I don't think it is slosh....kinda looks like a light coat of grey paint. Because they are fiberglass, I'm thinking of sloshing them but need a recommend on a real good sloshing compound. I've used POR 15 before without long lasting good results but that could be put down as poor prep methods. Any ideas there would be appreciated. 

I'll likely leave the horizontal stab and elevator the same size but will add a manually operated trim tab to the trailing edge. 

I did find a very hard to get set of new, unused large wheels, tires including  Matco brakes and set that up on the new gear. I do have a list of about 10 mods to strengthen various parts including the elevator actuator hinge, the metal strap under the athwartship tube joining the lift strut attach points on the fuselage. And, by the way my new wing spar reinforcement I beams just arrived from Just Aircraft down South. $110 each US right now. 

Thanks for any ideas you may recommend. 

Dave Stroud

1 person likes this