New builder

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi I acquired an avid Catalina kit that had three previous owners. Left wing is built and the seat backs and bottoms are cut out and bent. I have installed the control linkages and the hull. In the instructions it says to make plywood trapezoids 4 inches by 2 1/2 inches by 1 inch and place between the fuselage at each weld cluster and aluminum tube in bottom of hull. I cannot understand what they mean because they are too thin lying down to come into contact with the fuselage, and if standing on their sides they are to big to go between tubing and hull. Can any one help me out? Thanks

Ron

Posted

Ron, we’re you located?

Posted

I’m in Finleyville pa. Just south of Pittsburgh

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi I acquired an avid Catalina kit that had three previous owners. Left wing is built and the seat backs and bottoms are cut out and bent. I have installed the control linkages and the hull. In the instructions it says to make plywood trapezoids 4 inches by 2 1/2 inches by 1 inch and place between the fuselage at each weld cluster and aluminum tube in bottom of hull. I cannot understand what they mean because they are too thin lying down to come into contact with the fuselage, and if standing on their sides they are to big to go between tubing and hull. Can any one help me out? Thanks

Ron

Hey Ron,

I have/had those on my Catalina and found that the dimensions given in the plans are to be taken with a grain of salt. When you slide the fibreglass shell over the structure the gaps will differ from the plans because of the flexibility of the lower fibreglass structure and maybe a slight misalignment. I think the most important aspect is that the plywood re-enforcements keep the bottom skin from buckling when landing on water because of the extreme pressure on it. Dimension of the pieces just have to allow them to fit nicely without bulging the skin outwards . I had a hard landing once and a couple of the plywood pieces broke. After inspection I found that the the plywood was partially rotten because it was wrapped in fibreglass and moisture got in / stayed there without it being noticed (all is painted over)

I actually replaced the broken plywood pieces with hard foam insulation material. That way they will never rot, are lightweight, very strong when under pressure and easy to inspect (no fibreglass over them). 

Hope this helps, L.

P.s on my Catalina most tubes on their entire length are linked to the bottom hull, not just at the cluster locations..

Posted

Thanks

If I understand you right I would need to stack the plywood until it fits snug between the tube and the hull?

Ron

Posted

Thanks

If I understand you right I would need to stack the plywood until it fits snug between the tube and the hull?

Ron

No, each piece of plywood is supposed to be "standing up" on it's edge. Tomorrow I'll get you some pictures of my Catalina for you.

Posted

Thanks 

I am sure the pictures will be helpful

Ron

Posted

Bear with me Ron, Per our phone conversation the other night, Jerry thinks he’s got a set of building manuals and I talked to Jim and he mention something about bracing the bottom longerons where the struts meet because Dean and him had a hard landing.

Posted

Thanks

Posted

Here some pictures of mine. Pictures are from under the rear pax seat and also under copilot seat.seat...

You can also see one damaged by harder water landing.

DSC01065.JPG

DSC01067.JPG

DSC01072.JPG

DSC01076.JPG

DSC01077.JPG

DSC01079.JPG

Posted

Thanks so much

I appreciate you taking the time to send pictures 

Ron

Posted

Jerry found the drawings/manual, Will get back to you tomorrow, give me a number

Posted

Thanks my number is 724-348-5342

Posted

I live just outside Hershey, Pa and have 2 Catalina projects.

Posted

I would like to visit and see your projects.

my email is rkline7@icloud.com