Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kinda quiet on here.

8 posts in this topic

Posted

It’s been kinda quiet on here lately so I thought I would post what I have been working on. I know I could have bought rudder pedals but I like building things and I need more practice with the tig.

671BD2FB-D992-43FC-8753-D4421DE45A60.jpeg

6C02BCA0-4FC9-4D14-9992-E3DEAA403FC8.jpeg

D857A219-377C-40B8-AD34-82A05F39743A.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for sharing your progress. I'm trying to get back into my Avid project a little, and just switched from oxy-acetylene to tig. Any tips you've found helpful would be great. Appreciate the pictures too. They are good motivation.

Posted

I just had my plane out for the first time in 4 months.  Pathetic.

Posted

Thanks for sharing your progress. I'm trying to get back into my Avid project a little, and just switched from oxy-acetylene to tig. Any tips you've found helpful would be great. Appreciate the pictures too. They are good motivation.

I would say good prep, clean your metal up and make sure your joints are tight with minimal gap. A welding table that you can set up on and get comfortable and some spare tungsten. I really enjoy tig welding, it’s kinda peaceful until you dip your tungsten for the hundredth time and throw your torch across the shop. Don’t do that by the way because it breaks the back cap and it’s back to the welding supply store .

Posted

I just had my plane out for the first time in 4 months.  Pathetic.

Yah that’s rough, winter really takes it out of a guy. By the time I get home from my day job it hard to muster the ambition to go preheat a plane in a cold drafty hanger.

Posted

I just ordered a "stubby" gas lens kit. Hopefully that will help in the tube clusters. Also picked up some .045" ER70s-2. I've just got a make sift welding table for now. It's just a 5/8" steel plate sitting on an old power tool stand. Also got some extra 2% lanthanated 3/32" tungsten. Plan to put some practice time in this weekend.

So far tig seems like less hassle than welding with gas. Pretty much just turn on the argon, flip the switch, and you're welding. Stop, start whenever you feel like it. No problem. What's your range of current settings for .035" wall usually?

Posted

I have my welder set at 35 amps, usually go full pedal until I get a nice puddle established and get moving then I back off and just try to maintain a weld puddle that wets into the two parts I’m welding. I don’t know if that’s right or not it’s just what works for me. I’m using a 1/16 tungsten because I read somewhere that’s what I should use, but in all honesty I like the 3/32 better.

Posted

Thanks for the tips. I've only tig welded thicker metal so far for practice. Good to have an idea for what to expect on the thin stuff. Btw, your pedals look very nice.