Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Getting ready to start fabric

5 posts in this topic

Posted

The horizontal stabalizer fixed, com transponder ELT and gps antenna brackets made and welded in waiting on some drain grommets rudder cables and new hardware.

what are some of the thing you guys wished you had done prior to fabric on the fuselage?

very impressed with the oratex did a small picture frame to test the glue all seams to be okay, it is water based and delivers during sub 20 degree weather and can’t freeze. Wish they put a temp tattle take in box for piece of mind.

Posted

A double rod door latch that catches both front and rear of the door, super Cub style.

Posted

You have the Kitfox 4 don't you.  I like a wider fuselage, and also infilled under the doors.  If one was to infill the seat truss somewhat, that would help a know weak area as well.  I used .040" steel on mine.   Here is a picture of my fuselage, and then the door latches I made with rods going front and back.  

Photo1372.jpg

Photo1371.jpg

door latch 5.jpg

door latches 2.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Something not related to structure but plan for a lot of through fabric access points in the wings and fuselage (back by the tailwheel) so it is easy to access tough to get to fasteners and inspect where you need to.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Good point Chris.  This is what I did to get access to the tailwheel spring bolt.  Also makes it easier to inspect for corrosion or damage.  I epoxied in an aluminum cross tube to terminate the fabric on.  An aluminum cover screwed in place will cover it up when finished.  

IMG_0991 (Large).JPG

Edited by 1avidflyer
2 people like this